Asante Africa Foundation is a nonprofit organization that believes in the power of knowledge as a catalyst to help young people create a future where they can live their potential. We partner with local leaders to create safe healthy learning environments, strengthen teacher quality and enhance learning, and provide scholarships and leadership training. We know that enriched minds collectively create better solutions to whatever challenges their communities face. Asante Africa is poised for multi-country growth and tremendous in-country impact and seeks a seasoned development professional to lead our fundraising strategy.
The Donor Relations and Strategic Partnerships Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing a multi-year development strategy which enables Asante Africa Foundation to fulfill its mission. Key responsibilities include cultivating and stewarding a donor base, managing gift giving database, identifying private foundation and corporate partnerships and building strategic relationships. Growing the corporate and larger organization portfolio of donors will be the immediate priority.
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and works closely with board members, donors, volunteers and the development team. This individual must have keen multi-tasking skills, high energy, and attention to detail. We are looking for someone who is knowledgeable on all the latest digital marketing and outreach tools, particularly Salesforce.com, while comfortable being on the phone and meeting with prospective partners and donors in person.
This person will be intimately involved in fundraising (doing the ask), relationship management, business development, and working closely with the communication and marketing teams to develop campaigns. You will also be leading smaller projects and events requiring you to be a team leader of volunteers, staff, and external partners.
This person will be the right hand logistical coordinator for a high energy CEO and will need the ability to multi- task, work as a team and help a small start-up change the world - and you will learn a lot in this role. Periodic team meetings are required and virtual working environment is an existing part of the model.
This role must be based in the Bay Area, and preferably the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, SF, etc). This position will be a contract position with a specific work plan and detailed deliverables.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Candidate will be intimately involved with the CEO and development committee in refining and implementing an annual fundraising plan. This plan will include strategies and approaches to generate different levels of giving.
- Drive the strategy and direction around the cultivation, stewardship and solicitation of corporate underwriting, grants and gifts as well as family foundations and organizational donors aimed at identifying new donors as well as building a base of loyal donors.
- Conduct risk analysis and balance time-cost ratios to ensure Asante Africa Foundation chooses the most appropriate fundraising activities with the highest chance of success.
- Strategically engage and leverage the time of senior leaders to support relationship building and ensure fundraising targets are met.
- Work jointly with the CFO to monitor income and expenditure against the budget allocated and the target that has been determined. Use Salesforce.com metrics to demonstrate performance and upward trending of objectives being met.
- Represent Asante Africa Foundation at speaking events, fundraising events and in donor cultivation meetings as appropriate.
- Lead and manage the development team, including budgeting and evaluation of gifting projects. Lead and supervise a volunteer staff in the effective implementation of a variety of fundraising activities, including preparation of high-quality grant proposals, reports and donor communications and the execution of fundraising events.
- Design and deliver reports that engage and inform members of the senior management team and the Board committee in the work and progress of the development function.
To be successful as a member of the Asante Africa Foundation team, you will also:
Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
Be an innovative and creative thinker - you are not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness.
Have a strong work ethic, take initiative, and require minimal direction.
Work well independently as well as part of a team.
Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment.
Directly impact Asante Africa’s efforts to fund education-related projects that enhance knowledge, skills, and opportunities for hundreds of children in East Africa.
Gain insight into the day-to-day operations of a nimble, results-orientated, high-growth nonprofit organization.
Have the opportunity to see your ideas and contributions implemented.
Build your resume and gain references for future employment opportunities.
Comparable to other organizations similar in design to Asante Africa Foundation and commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, as well as 5+ years of demonstrated success building and leading the development function in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial non-profit organization.
- Substantial experience designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans for all funding streams including major gifts, corporate, foundation, and annual giving; successful track record of raising funds with a growth track over time; knowledge of foundation grant funding and capital campaigns is a plus.
- Must have substantial experience engaging corporate philanthropy professionals and proven track record securing multi-year gifts.
- Excellent leadership, management and organizational skills, including the ability to motivate, recruit and retain volunteers and staff.
- Ability to effectively engage senior staff and Board of Directors in solicitation and cultivation activities.
- Experience creating content for social media (e.g. Facebook) and online media partner sites, driving website traffic by optimizing Google Adwords, etc.
- Knowledge of fundraising software such as Salesforce or Razors Edge.
- Passionate commitment to Asante Africa Foundation mission, vision and strategic direction; experience in international development a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills, with proven ability to write effectively, speak persuasively and to listen to and learn from others with a sense of inquisitiveness.
- Intellectual agility, high professional standards, and demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute on multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to thrive in an environment characterized as fast-paced, creative, dynamic, and growing.
Minimum Education Required