Details: Salary commensurate with experience
335 Adams Street
M/WBE Finance Specialist, NYC Business Solutions
The Minority/Women Business Enterprise (M/WBE) Finance Specialist at the NYC Business Solutions, Brooklyn Center is responsible for serving as a relationship manager and primary point of contact for M/WBE small businesses who are bidding on a prime or sub contract that is city funded. In this role, the Finance Specialist will be responsible for establishing key relationships within the M/WBE community and focusing on business development and loan packaging for the Contract Financing Loan Fund (Loan Fund) in coordination with the NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) Program Management and established lending partners. Specifically, the M/WBE Finance Specialist will be responsible for identifying small businesses in need of financing assistance with NYC contracts and providing them services that lead to the successful achievement of a loan. The position requires experience working with M/WBE small businesses, as well as in-depth knowledge of small business lending, financial analysis, and credit analysis.
About NYC Business Solutions:
NYC Business Solutions is a set of services offered by the New York City Department of Small Business Services (SBS) to help businesses start, operate and expand in New York City. NYC Business Solutions has been at the forefront of the Mayor’s commitment to help business customers, providing small businesses and entrepreneurs with the ability to access government services by phone, online, or in person at NYC Business Solutions Centers located in business districts throughout the five boroughs. The NYC Business Solutions set of services consists of: Business Courses, Legal Assistance, Financing, Incentives, Navigating Government, Recruitment, Training, Selling to Government and M/WBE Certification.
About the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce:
The Brooklyn Center is managed by the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, a community of members that supports and advocates for its member businesses and promotes a healthy and robust business environment in Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Chamber members include local, regional and national businesses with customers or business interests in neighborhoods across the borough. The Chamber's membership mirrors the Brooklyn business community. From proprietors to large corporations, member businesses represent industries such as financial services, energy, insurance, manufacturing, dining, shopping, wholesale and retail trade, fashion, hospitality, health care, real estate and communications.
- Assist M/WBEs in obtaining financing through the Contract Financing Loan Fund, by identifying the business’s needs and preparing loan packages (developing, gathering and reviewing financial documents, preparing loan applications, reviewing business plans, etc.)
- Assist businesses in preparing and analyzing financial documents required for their loan applications. These documents include profit and loss projections, balance sheets, and cash flow statements.
- Participate in financing service working groups with other Financing Account Managers from NYC Business Solutions Centers across the city to identify best practices, improve efficiencies, and overcome obstacles to achieving outcomes.
- Attend trainings and mentoring sessions as provided by NYC Business Solutions in order to enhance financing skills
- Develop, track, and evolve strategies to reach the target M/WBE professional services audience in order to develop a pipeline of strong leads. Strategies could include, but are not limited to:
o Fostering and nurturing relationships with New York City government agencies; particularly with the personnel responsible for contracts and diversity. Identifying, attending and, in some cases, organizing evening and morning networking events, panels, and business socials as a means of conducting business development
o Prospecting and identifying clients through phone and email outreach
- Create and maintain complete records of pipeline and customer accounts, including detailed content on sales and service delivery activities completed and full profile information for the business customer, in the system’s CRM database
- Reach and exceed key performance indicators, including around specific business development activities, and participate in weekly check-in meetings with SBS program management to review progress to goals
- Respond to all customer inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner, in accordance with quality assurance best practices and Center’s standards
- Provide feedback to team members, the Center Director, and SBS on an ongoing basis in order to improve the system’s ability to achieve outcomes and provide high-quality financing services
- Sales or account management experience
- A strong belief in the potential of small businesses and the value of understanding their needs and helping them to succeed
- Extensive experience in small business lending and keen understanding of small business lending policies and practices including developing and reviewing financial statements, loan packaging and loan underwriting
- Knowledge of commercial banking regulations, operations and credit practices
- Proven track record in acquiring and retaining business customers
- Demonstrated knowledge of small business assistance and business support programs in New York City a plus
- Experience using customer relationship management tools or other database systems in order to track and manage services and outcomes
- Ability to manage towards goals in order to ensure the successful achievement of those goals by specific deadlines
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and manage tight deadlines in both a team and individual setting
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with a diverse array of internal and external stakeholders
- Flexible, adaptable, customer-focused, and goal-oriented with a commitment to high standards of excellence
- Prior experience in a loan underwriting, loan consulting or accounting role a plus
- The ability to think innovatively and generate new ideas that translate directly into results
Full benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line:
M/WBE Finance Specialist to: email@example.com
The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce is an EEO employer.
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.