Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Finance Associate based in Washington, DC. At Protect Democracy, we anchor our work in service to our ambitious mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Our mission is the foundation of our team, be it litigation, advocacy, or ensuring that our organization has the financial security to continue to meet the urgency of the moment and the importance of this movement.
In this newly created role, you will join our small and highly collaborative operations team to help ensure the continued financial health of Protect Democracy. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is interested in scaling the financial processes and procedures of a rapidly growing start-up. As Finance Associate, you will help determine and shape the fiscal future of our organization — which consists of multiple nonprofit companies — by collaborating with our external accounting firm, strategically planning our budget and investment strategies, and managing multiple vendor relationships.
In this role, you will:
- Lead numerous internal financial functions of the organization, including bank and credit card account management, invoice tracking and payment, and the monthly reconciliation process;
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations, Executive Director, operations team and others on Protect Democracy’s budget and investment strategies;
- Assist in the completion of Protect Democracy’s annual audit and production of its Form 990;
- Work closely with our external accounting team to ensure the accuracy and dependability of our books;
- Independently seek opportunities to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational and financial framework by closely examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise recommendations to the Director of Operations;
- Liaise with accounting, technical, digital, compliance, and legal vendors working to support the organization;
- Provide as-needed operational support to the entire Protect Democracy team;
- Contribute as a thought leader to the overall development of Protect Democracy across all areas and facets of the organization, including impact strategy.
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Passion for protecting our democracy;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- 1-2 years relevant work experience in the private sector or at a mission-driven organization and/or a degree in finance, business, or accounting (e.g. MBA, CPA);
- Proven project management experience, including the ability to develop and implement plans and track, prioritize and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities and competing deadlines, while anticipating the needs of staff;
- A background and interest in process design, improvement, and automation;
- Facility with Excel and/or Google spreadsheets, databases, and data management;
- Proficiency in integrated financial management software (e.g. Quickbooks);
- Strong writing, and research skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Growth mindset that recognizes that we are all on a constant path of improvement and that regular, candid, and direct feedback is a gift to be cherished so that we can further grow;
- Comfort taking smart, strategic and calculated risks;
- Comfort working in a start-up environment, doing whatever is necessary to build the organization;
- Comfort with team collaboration; not needing to work only in an isolated and autonomous way;
- Excellent critical thinking skills — you can reason your way through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to efficient solutions;
- A healthy mix of idealism, sophistication and practicality, coupled with personal kindness and generosity of spirit.