Details: Salary depends on work location and hours. This is an hourly position with no authorized overtime.
Transparentem is a non-profit unit that adopts frontline investigative reporting and forensic methods in compliance with international ethical standards to illuminate supply chains and spur eradication of human and environmental abuses. We do not publish the products of investigations. Instead, reports are strategically delivered to select entities best positioned to leverage their influence to positively impact vulnerable populations and remediate degraded environments. We are currently focused on the apparel, accessories, and footwear industries.
We are seeking a full-time Controller for approximately 30-35 hours a week to report to the Vice President of Finance for our domestic and international operations. Additional hours may be required in the first two weeks following each calendar quarter and during annual audits. This position offers a flexible location option.
We are a technical organization using multiple accounting systems and sub-systems, operating in a highly secure, encrypted data environment. Paid training will be provided to learn how to operate in this environment.
We have doubled in size in the past 24 months and the day-to-day accounting operations now require full-time (30-35 hours per week) attention. We are looking for a candidate who can take over the accounting operations from the Vice-President of Finance.
Responsibilities include all day-to-day accounting needs for the organization including but not limited to:
- Vendor payments, reimbursements, payroll, and supporting a staff of 30
- Budgeting, grant reports, cash management and analysis
- Monthly closing including journal entries, cost allocations, managing prepaid accounts and other accruals
- Primary human resource manager responsible for managing benefits, insurance, and HR systems
- Manage accounting systems
The Vice President of Finance is a part-time role and will focus on providing treasury, fundraising, grant management, and board liaison. In addition, he will participate in internal controls, be available for support and provide coverage for any vacation or sick days of the Controller.
What we’re looking for
- A minimum of an associate’s degree in Accounting with 7 years of accounting experience or a bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting with 5 years of accounting
- Ability to work on your own and to maintain control over accounting function
- Mastery of operating all core functions of a computerized accounting system (account setup and management, vendor management, receivables, payables, assets, liabilities, accruals, journal entries, and reports) in Quickbooks, FundEZ, Netsuite, or similar. This requirement can be waived for recent graduates with demonstrated computer aptitude
- Mastery of spreadsheets and proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Nonprofit experience highly preferred but not required
- Ability to adjust work schedule (i.e. more hours) around quarterly, annual, and certain grant report deadlines
- U.S. work authorization required
Location: Brooklyn, New York. Remote arrangement possible but New York candidates are strongly preferred. For remote arrangements, candidate must be within 2-hour drive of Brooklyn, NY or Washington D.C. and willing to commute to either the New York or D.C. office several times a month.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Transparentem is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and encourage all interested candidates to apply. Please send a resume and cover letter with the subject line "Your Name_Controller" to email@example.com.