Details: Commensurate with experience
700 14th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the nation's first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Since its founding under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall in 1940, LDF has been committed to transforming this nation's promise of racial equity and justice into reality for all Americans.
LDF uses litigation, public policy advocacy, community organizing and strategic communications programs to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair criminal justice system.
LDF seeks an experienced Policy Counsel to join its policy team to advance its reform work in these priority areas with a focus on economic justice, which includes housing and employment discrimination.
- Identify, develop, and implement legislative and policy reform strategies at the federal, state, and local levels, consistent with LDF's substantive priorities;
- Conduct policy and other forms of research in LDF's programmatic areas including political participation, economic justice, judicial and agency nominations and criminal justice;
- Monitor and respond to developing civil rights issues in proposed federal, state and local legislation or agency action;
- Identify, secure and prepare for opportunities for LDF to influence legislation and policy at the federal level, including commenting on proposed legislation and rules, submitting statements and letters, preparing advocacy materials, and organizing and conducting meetings with elected and administrative officials and their staff;
- Secure, draft and deliver legislative testimony at the federal, state, and local levels;
- Participate in and/or organize briefings with Members of Congress, state and local legislators, and federal or state agency officials on LDF's substantive priorities;
- Build and/or participate in national coalitions, partnerships and task forces working to advance political participation, education, economic opportunity, and criminal justice, or to oppose laws and policies that will undermine reform;
- Assume a leading and strategic role in national, state or local coalition campaigns on federal advocacy issues consistent with LDF's priorities, including lobbying, communications and grassroots outreach;
- Work collaboratively with LDF's attorneys, organizers, and multidisciplinary teams to advance national, state and local reforms;
- Work collaboratively with LDF's attorneys and researchers to write, publish and widely disseminate policy briefs, fact sheets, talking points, infographics, reports, and other documents that will educate legislators, agency officials, stakeholders, and the public about the need for policy changes to address issues and propose solid recommendations for change;
- Other duties as requested by the Director of Policy, the Deputy Director of Policy, or other management personnel.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Juris Doctor degree;
- Five or more years of experience in policy reform or advocacy at the federal, state, or local level in the areas of political participation, economic justice, education and criminal justice;
- Excellent research, writing and public speaking skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to civil rights and racial justice;
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with coalitions of organizations, community members/leaders, and public officials;
- A demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically, including an ability to lead and manage complex policy reform efforts involving multiple issues and parties;
- Ability to work independently and on teams; and
- Ability to travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to:
Director of Human Resources/Administration
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
40 Rector Street, 5th floor
New York, New York 10006
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.