The Executive Director will coordinate with the Glendale Educational Foundation (GEF) Board of Directors to determine and carry out the fundraising and programmatic work of the organization. Reporting to the President of the Board and as a key board member, the Executive Director’s function will be to achieve the organization’s philosophy, mission, strategy and its annual goals and objectives. This includes overseeing current fundraising activities, providing thought leadership and strategies for new partnerships, innovating methods for raising money for the Foundation, as well as preparing articulate and persuasive grant applications. The ideal candidate for this position will be a leading team player and have the ability to foster current relationships within the school system and business communities. The Executive Director will have responsibility for managing one administrative employee.
Direct and Manage Signature GEF events (including fundraising and teacher grant programs) :
- Create calendar and project list for each event, ensuring all tasks are completed on time and within budget.
- Provide detailed report on each event, providing expenditures/profit and capture all detail on the events, with recommendations for improvements where needed.
Develop pipeline of potential donors and partners by:
- Scanning media sources, trade journals and referrals for potential funders.
- Identifying companies whose funding priorities match GEF’s mission.
- Working with the marketing team to research and develop a plan to approach top prospects.
- Making recommendations to the Finance committee based on capacity and affinity.
Manage portfolio of partners:
- Steward current donor relationships, managing appropriate frequency of outreach, communication and engagement.
- Identify and cultivate new donor partnerships.
- Prepare grant proposals that tell a compelling story to potential partners.
- Develop metrics that help identify the likelihood of securing strategic partnerships.
Active board membership:
- See that agendas and packets for monthly Exec and Board meetings are prepared.
- Provide income statement monthly.
- Meet regularly with all GEF board Committees.
- Meet with Glendale Unified School District (GUSD) to determine annual area(s) of focus.
- Work with Nominating Committee to determine membership openings and solicit slate of new members to discuss with the Board.
- Make deposits and record all income.
- Pay all bills.
- Make required adjustments to financial statements.
- Deliver financial information to JLK Rosenberger, identifying issues and making recommendations as needed.
Maintain and create community contacts:
- Develop relationships with key businesses in Glendale in order to promote GEF focus areas and opportunities for fundraising, contributions, partnerships and grants.
- Develop and maintain relationships with principals/foundations/GUSD to listen to concerns and develop ongoing dialogues with key constituencies.
- Meet with all GUSD foundations annually to determine areas of collaboration.
- Develop contacts and relationships with other school districts to create ongoing information sharing about new programs, state-wide issues and other areas of interest.
Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 5 years of experience in non-profit fundraising, marketing, corporate business environment or related fields.
- Experience with policies and processes of the public education system.
- Unwavering ethics and values.
- Outstanding business acumen – ability to understand and explain financial statements, and understand the language of business in order to develop strong partnerships with the business community.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to manage short-term and long-term plans and goals with a record of achieving results.
- Creative thinker.
- Proven track record of building relationships that support organizational growth.
- Ability to influence outcomes through solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Good judgment and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Authentic person who is highly energetic and a natural collaborator.
- Interpersonal professionalism and charisma.
- Strong passion for and commitment to the mission of GEF.
Commensurate with experience.