ETIV do Brasil is a Non Profit/Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that is located in the beautiful fishing and surfing town of Itacaré, Bahia, Brazil. Our mission is to support environmental conservation and development in Brazil, with a deep focus on youth development.
Title: Operations Manager
Location: Itacaré, Bahia, Brazil
Reports to: The Director
Expected hours: 40 to 45hrs/week; Usually weekends and evenings off, except for special circumstances; on call for emergencies 24/7
Salary: R$1400 BRL per month
Benefits: Free housing and bills (including water, electric, cell phone service and Wi-Fi
Annual leave: 1 month/year
Holidays: The ETIV office will be closed on all Brazilian national holidays
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred. Brazilian citizenship or permanent resident with work visa. Bilingual - English and Portuguese, Microsoft excel advanced proficiency.
About the Role
As Operations Manager at ETIV, you will be expected to take on a wide range of responsibilities. This includes NGO administration, financial management, project management, volunteer management and management of the ETIV Complex. You will develop, implement and deliver appropriate actions to achieve positive and measurable outcomes and opportunities for the Brazilian children & families with whom we work and with the international volunteers and interns who work with us. You will work under the guidance of the director and help us ensure that our volunteers are happy, supported and working effectively to achieve positive results at ETIV and with our local community projects. The majority of the tasks listed below can be delegated among and between our team of staff, volunteers and interns, although you are ultimately responsible to ensure that they are properly completed.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Recruitment & coordination of volunteers
- Coordinating pre-arrival arrangements, including preparations for their housing
- Managing volunteer inquiries, applications and the ETIV database
- Support with welcomes, inductions and tours of Itacaré for new arrivals
- Ensuring the welfare of all volunteers from arrival to departure
- Offering general support, supervision and 24-hour emergency assistance to our volunteers and interns
- Monitoring and analyzing volunteer feedback to support continuous improvement
- Leading weekly team meetings with all volunteers and interns, including our virtual teams
- Working with volunteers and interns on their SMART Goals, ensuring that volunteers and interns turn in their staff reports on time
- Reading through staff reports and offering feedback, support and critical thinking to their work and goals.
- Helping to build and maintain our local community projects focused on youth development, environmental conservation, mangrove restoration and girls and women’s empowerment.
- Taking a lead role on any campaigns we may be launching
- Building relationships with community members, networking, and building partnerships and liaising with other community projects
- Ensuring that project finances are properly maintained, recorded and monitored in our database and finances excel
- Supporting volunteers in their projects and empowering them to lead their projects successfully
- Leading our annual Earth Day event in April each year
- Supporting and supervising all of our paid staff leading on different Projects
Office Management, Administration and Finances
- Financial management, inputting all income and expenses into the drive every Friday, properly organizing all receipts both online and in our files, closing out monthly finances by the 10th of each month, submitting our finances to our accountant and to our treasurer each month.
- Replying to e-mails and ensuring that all legal documents and contracts are distributed, signed, received and organized properly in the database
- General office administration, including maintaining spread sheets, book-keeping and management information reports
- Ensuring that the volunteer database, housing calendar, contact master and all other important information sheets are kept up-to-date
- Website development, support, updates and maintenance
- Fund development – taking a lead role on grant writing, fundraising, event planning, and finding more ways to diversify our funding.
- Marketing, communications and social media
- Ensure our office and storage spaces are clean and organized
- Leading on our Annual Report each year
- Completing and sending out our monthly newsletters
- Other ad hoc tasks
ETIV Complex Management
- Helping to maintain the ETIV garden, yard, pool, learning space, garbage and compost
- Create and keep updated inventories for all apartments and for all of our materials and supplies in our office and in
- Organizing and implementing a volunteer cleaning schedule and ensuring volunteers clean up after themselves and ensuring that they take responsibility for maintaining a clean learning space and organize and put away all materials in their proper places
- Maintaining house rules including quiet hours, no smoking, guest policies, etc.
- Supporting volunteers to order more when they run out of water or gas
- Paying bills including Wi-Fi, water, phone and electric bills
- Ensuring that volunteer accommodations are clean and ready for new arrivals
- Ensuring each volunteer receives their check out list before leaving and completes this list and leaves their keys before returning their deposit
- Finding qualified people to help us maintain the ETIV complex and fix things as they break or need replacing.
- Helping to take care of our ETIV dog, Pino and our cats, Preci and Cia when the director is away and travelling.