The Asian Pacific Institute on Gender-Based Violence (API-GBV) is seeking a Policy Associate who is a highly motivated self-starter who is able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle a diverse workload. This position requires strong organization skills, combined with effective communication abilities to translate policy matters in a way that is timely and accessible to community members.
The Policy Associate position will provide opportunities for experienced candidates to work directly with policymakers, community members, and members of the media – or for less experienced candidates to grow into those additional responsibilities.
Reporting to the Director of Policy, the Policy Associate will assist in developing and implementing our policy priorities and advocacy strategies.
This position is a part-time (20 hours per week), non-exempt position with potential to become full time based on organizational need and budgetary constraints. Our main office operations are currently located in Oakland, California with other staff working from San Diego, Los Angeles, New Jersey and Seattle, WA. There are five (5) board members and eleven (11) full-time staff.
The position is preferably Seattle, WA or Oakland, CA based, however due to the pandemic, all staff are currently working remotely from home. Our ideal start date is March 29, 2021.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience with a focus on domestic or sexual violence, women’s rights, violence prevention, the impact of trauma, and/or other related gender justice issues in communities of color or immigrant communities.
· At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a nonprofit organization or 2-4 years of work experience and a graduate degree in a relevant field is highly desired.
· Knowledge of and experience in administrative and legislative advocacy is highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Ability to think creatively and strategically to tailor information to motivate advocates and partners to take action.
· Strong communicator and writer with willingness to be trained as a spokesperson who can articulate messages to different audiences, including the media.
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Able to manage up and ensure that colleagues are meeting deadlines.
· Strong people skills and ability to conduct outreach to diverse people and establish new relationships for the organization.
· Experience working with diverse organizations and/or people, including working and planning for work with individuals who have Limited English proficiency.
· Ability to adapt to changing priorities and balance competing assignments is necessary.
· Knowledge of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or willingness to learn.
Compensation: $29,029 per annum (based on 20 hrs/week), starting salary. We provide an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance, 401K and paid vacation/sick time.
Contact: Please send letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three (3) professional references in a single PDF document to HR@api-gbv.org by February 26, 2021. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, so we encourage candidates to apply early.
The Asian Pacific Institute on Gender-Based Violence (API-GBV) is seeking a Policy Associate who is a highly motivated self-starter who is able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle a diverse workload. This…