529 Main Street
Summary of Organization/Position:
Since 1990, Community Research Initiative has operated the HIV Drug Assistance Program (HDAP)/Comprehensive Health Insurance Initiative (CHII) under contract with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. This program, funded by both federal and state dollars and one of the largest programs of its kind in the country, provides access to HIV/AIDS medications to under- or uninsured clients. The program also provides health insurance for individuals with HIV/AIDS who are otherwise unable to access coverage.
The Health Insurance Enrollment Specialist will help our HIV+ clients enroll in health insurance and advise and train case managers and other staff about navigating insurance options available through the Massachusetts Health Connector and Medicare. Supporting clients to negotiate and access a confusing and complex health insurance system; this position makes a concrete difference in people’s lives every day.
The ideal candidate will be an outgoing and self-motivated individual able to advocate for clients and help them through the enrollment process with patience and enthusiasm; who will work effectively and collaboratively with contracted vendors and other service providers; and who is able to interact respectfully and professionally with people of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are looking for a detail-oriented quick learner and flexible team player with an interest in health care policy.
One-to-two years’ experience in a non-profit organization, health policy/legal advocacy agency, or HIV-related agency preferred, as well as expertise in and knowledge of health insurance/health policy, including MassHealth and Medicare. Prior experience with direct client service and health insurance enrollment with the MA Health Connector is preferred. Candidates who are trained health insurance navigators or Certified Application Counselors a plus.
Candidate must have excellent organizational, oral communication, written communication and presentation skills. Excellent telephone manner and computer/data entry skills required. Demonstrated ability to work independently, accurately, and creatively in fast-paced environment while handling multiple priorities. Ability to work with diverse clients, community providers, public health officials, and advocates. Public speaking experience preferred. Spanish-speaking a plus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provide guidance via telephone and in person to case managers and clients about insurance eligibility and options, enrollment procedures, premium payment deadlines, and potential special enrollment periods.
· Communicate with various health care and insurance organizations, including Mass Health, the Massachusetts Health Connector, and private insurance providers.
· Present information on health insurance and benefits programs to case managers, other providers, and consumer groups at HIV-related health care delivery sites and public meetings throughout Massachusetts.
· Serve as a resource to HDAP enrollment staff, addressing insurance- and benefits-related inquiries and requests. Coordinate efforts with HDAP’s Comprehensive Health Insurance Initiative (CHII) staff to facilitate program enrollment and retention.
· Keep up to date on changes in health insurance and benefits-related policies.
· Assist with ongoing screening and review functions of HDAP/CHII enrollment applications and recertification’s for accuracy and completeness, as required.
· Assist with other tasks, as necessary and as directed by the BRIDGE Team Project Manager and Coordinator.
Salary commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes salary, health care coverage (dental and vision also available), disability and life insurance. Generous paid vacation benefits and professional development opportunities.
Community Research Initiative (CRI) is an independent, nonprofit community-based organization dedicated to leading the way in HIV/AIDS and hepatitis C clinical research, ensuring access to life-saving medications and providing financial assistance for approved drug treatments and health insurance coverage for those in need.
CRI is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. For more information about CRI, visit our website at: www.crine.org
Level of Language Proficiency
Bachelor’s degree; Associate degree or equivalent work experience may be considered in lieu of education
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to George Hastie at firstname.lastname@example.org