Administrative Assistant for the Nail Salon Worker School
The NY NJ Regional Joint Board of Workers United is dedicated to winning economic and racial justice through innovative and dynamic worker-led organizing campaigns.
We are a diverse and participatory union that centers our members’ needs for justice at work and in their communities. We build their collective power to win dignity, good contracts, safe working conditions, and laws that benefit working families. We are committed to uplifting all working people in the New York New Jersey region.
Our current focus is building worker leadership among the mostly immigrant woman workforce across the New York nail sail industry. This growing campaign is centered around class, race, immigrant, and gender justice. We are building the first-ever nail salon worker union in the United States, changing the landscape of what’s possible to win power.
We are seeking a bilingual (Spanish/English) Administrative Assistant who has a willingness to learn, solid communication skills, strong sense of attention to detail, a strong work ethic and is excited to think and work creatively as part of a focused and fun-loving team developing and moving this non-traditional organizing campaign.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for all aspects of the New York Nail Salon Worker School. This includes, but is not limited to working with members of the New York Nail Salon Worker Association, running a successful membership renewal program, coordinating with partner organizations throughout the certification process, which includes the 26 hour and practical classes, as well as addressing licensing issues. This position will be reporting directly to the Campaign Coordinator.
Duties will vary but will include the following:
- Coordinate outreach for classes by identifying and scheduling students
- Communicate scores and next steps to students
- Run membership renewal program
- Coordinate testing logistics
- Communicate with DOS around licensing issues and concerns
- Coordinate identification of license renewals and extensions
- Maintain detailed records and input data into database
- Problem solve to overcome obstacles to achieving goals and completing tasks
- Ensure that work is meeting the goals and timelines agreed upon
- Develop systems to create a smooth communication process
- Fluency in Spanish and English (including reading, writing, and speaking)
- Strong communicator with excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office and Salesforce
- The ability to manage challenging relationships
- Detail oriented and organized with strong planning and prioritization abilities
- Eagerness to take on leadership role and increasing responsibility
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to changing requirements
- High comfort level talking to people of diverse backgrounds
Additionally this position requires:
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours including nights and weekends
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and social justice
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working with people from diverse background
- Commitment to center the leadership and voices of People of Color, women and immigrant workers
The NY NJ Regional Joint Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Includes excellent health benefits, paid time off, and retirement.
Level of Language Proficiency
This position requires fluency in Spanish including reading, writing, and speaking.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and three references to Claudia Saenz at: firstname.lastname@example.org