Details: Competitive, based on experience
About the Team
The External Relations department is responsible for securing the financial resources that will allow New Classrooms to continue to grow, innovate, and be a leader in the personalized learning movement. We have been recognized through funding by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and Bezos Family Foundation, among other leading foundations. Additionally, New Classrooms has secured support from prominent, high net worth individuals across the country. Click here to learn more about our supporters.
This is an exciting period for New Classrooms, and the External Relations team is instrumental in helping position the organization for future growth in partner schools across the country. The External Relations team aims to raise $15M in national dollars in FY19 and will continue to increase revenue targets, particularly for individual contributions, over the coming years. This goal is part of a three-year campaign to raise $48.5M for New Classrooms’ strategic plan. We are well on our way to reaching this ambitious goal and seek a team member who is energized by the opportunity to be part of this effort to build out our pipeline of institutional donors and prospects.
About the Role
The Deputy Director of Development Operations is a fantastic position for someone that wants to be part of something big by helping to create the systems, processes and strategies that will allow our fundraising efforts to stay nimble while scaling. Any successful fundraising operations needs to have a focus on both the importance of strategically building and stewarding relationships and on creating the scalable operations required to support this work at scale--including identify data systems and reporting tools, creating compelling communications (whether for grants or other important communications), managing and planning events and interfacing with critical internal teams (including Finance) to align on important areas of intersection. Reporting to the Vice President of External Relations, this role will lead that work (including managing a team of initially two additional people).
- You are a strategic thinker and communicator who can conceptualize, design and lead the implementation of team-wide systems and strategies
- You have a track record of creating right-sized systems that enable work to flow smoothly and predictably without overburdening the team with process
- You are a highly strategic communicator, you can bring concepts to life with new, original language and compelling visuals
- You are a strong generalist known for successfully juggling a variety of ever-changing work streams and deadlines (you find this stimulating not crazy-making!)
- You get joy from supporting the work of others
- You are comfortable working in a highly ambiguous, collaborative and creative environment
- You exemplify a number of New Classrooms’ Core Operating Principles
What you’ll do
- Design, create and launch the systems, processes, communications and tools required to enable the external relations team to function in an optimized way
- Create and maintain Sales Force reporting tools and practices to ensure that all Stewardship data is being maintained and acted upon
- Manage and develop a team of two associate/manager level individual contributors
- Support the creation of key strategic communications
- Own and direct the strategy for key Institutional and Individual Donors and Potential Donors
- Serve as the primary manager of our largest institutional donors
- Manage the grants writing process including managing a manager level grant writer
- Create and manage the team’s research practice in support of fundraising efforts
- Integrate the design and execution of tracking and supporting individual fundraising needs in collaboration with the VP of External Relations, CEO and others
- Oversee the design and execution of tracking and supporting local fundraising needs in collaboration with the Growth & Expansion team
- Partner with the CEO and the VP of External Relations and other externally facing team members to coordinate the logistical and programmatic aspects of all fundraising events (in NYC and beyond)
What We’re Looking For
- Deep knowledge of the language and fundraising landscape of the K-12 space
- Experience writing institutional grants as well as white papers and other types of communications
- Experience managing others (or a demonstrated strong aptitude for managing the work of others)
- Knowledge of event management or logistic coordination
- Basic knowledge of Finance and grants reporting preferred
- Experience with SalesForce preferred
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Minimum Education Required