Details: This is an AmeriCorps position. To learn more about AmeriCorps, please visit the website here: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-network
755 8th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Serve with AmeriCorps and impact the lives of students in DC!
Kid Power inspires youth leadership by promoting academic advancement, physical and emotional wellness, and positive civic engagement in under-served communities throughout the District of Columbia. Kid Power embraces youth voice and believes that every young person can become an informed and engaged advocate for change in their own lives and in their communities.
Kid Power provides daily after-school and summer programs to approximately 425 youth. Programs are designed to help youth achieve success in school, meaningful civic engagement, healthy behaviors, and successful transitions into adulthood
Core Responsibilities: Under the supervision of Kid Power's Program Director and Assistant Program Director, he/she will ensure program quality, curriculum development, recruiting program volunteers, maintaining and tracking program outcome and bench-marking data, helping with communication with parents, teachers, and partners, and working directly with youth each day.
- Maintain and develop curriculum in coordination with the Assistant Program Director
- Create and distribute weekly lesson plans and schedules to after-school teaching staff
- Recruit at least 30 volunteers during the program year and create new and sustainable volunteer databases
- Plan and help facilitate volunteer training workshops
- Research opportunities and resources to bring to partner schools for the benefit of the students that the organization serves
- Help organize youth and family events, such as community service activities, field trips, family engagement nights, etc.
- Maintain and report accurate participant and volunteer data
- Form and maintain positive professional relationships with school staff
- Help ensure smooth daily operations at school sites
- Work directly with Kid Power students and help lead activities during after-school and summer programs
- Commit to serving with AmeriCorps for one service year and complete 1700 of hours of service (August 2018-August 2019)
Kid Power complies with all applicable state and federal rules and regulations which prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identification, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability.
- $13,992 annual taxable stipend + FICA.
- $50/month travel stipend
- $150/month health insurance.
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award which can be used towards student loans and/or to help finance higher education pursuits upon successful completion of service. (2017 amount $5,645)
- Student loan forbearance or deferment.
- Gain skills and valuable experience to prepare you for a career after-service.
- Make an impact in under-served communities!
Kid Power is an equal opportunity employer. The Literacy Lab’s policy is to provide equal opportunity at all times without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental disability, medication, or status as a veteran.
Level of Language Proficiency
English required, Spanish or French a plus
Minimum Education Required