55 West 125th Street
The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation (UMEZ) is to sustain the economic revitalization of all communities in Upper Manhattan through job creation, corporate alliances, strategic investments and small business investments. UMEZ facilitates economic development in the neighborhoods of Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights; and Inwood.
UMEZ is an independent not-for-profit corporation created in 1995 and has invested $250 million in the Upper Manhattan community, leveraging over 1.1 billion in private capital, and has funded 100 small businesses.
In 2017, UMEZ became a recognized Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with over $80 million in assets. UMEZ is proud to be certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s CDFI Fund as a part of a national network promoting economic growth by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
Summary: The Development Associate is responsible for supporting organizational efforts to raise funding to further the organizations mission. In collaboration with Senior Management, this role will participate with cross-functional teams to provide strategic insight, direction, and recommendations about resource development by identifying and developing partnership opportunities for funding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following and other duties may be assigned:
· Assist in developing new funding opportunities with corporations, foundations, banks and government sources by providing recommendations and briefings to the CEO to raise funding
· Under the direction of the CEO, prepare letters of interest and proposals for funding opportunities
· Prepare funding reports, prospect research, tracking, and collecting necessary data for reporting purposes to funders; update tracking spreadsheet for funding, including deliverables to ensure timely fulfillment of funding requirements
· Prepare funding requests, overseeing proposal coordination, including research, writing and editing funding proposals
· Work with the Senior Management to coordinate information for proposals
· Supports strategic planning and proposal development phases working collaboratively with Senior Management
· Maintain relationships with active funders
Background & Experience:
· Experience working with Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) Industry
· 3-5 years in development experience
· Experience in financial management, capitalization, legal, program management or lending
· Ability to multitask, work independently and interdependently
· Must be able to engage in a tactful manner with colleagues, potential borrowers, and existing borrowers
· Strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills
· Exceptional attention to detail
· Community residence and/or familiarity with Upper Manhattan community preferred
· An energetic and resourceful person with a strong interest in community engagement
· A self starter; a team player; a strategic thinker; a creative problem solver.
The benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance as well as a 401K plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should e-mail or mail a resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Manager
55 West 125th Street, 11th Floor
New York, New York 10027
Attn: Development Associate
No Phone Calls or Faxes Please