Part Time Temporary
Details: Based on experience
557 McReynolds Rd
The Bay Area Discovery Museum’s creative summer camp programs emphasize participatory, interactive learning for children 5-14 years of age and Junior Counselors 9-15 years of age. We believe children learn best in a welcoming environment, rich with open-ended exploration. This type of environment and approach is dependent upon the teachers, and that is where you come in!
We are currently hiring for Fab Lab Camp Lead Teachers to plan and implement camp curricula and facilitate camp programs. Ideal candidates will have deep commitment to and passion for research-backed teaching practice, love and respect for young children and their enormous capabilities, and interest in serving in an evolving camp community. Fab Lab Lead Teachers will plan and implement interdisciplinary camp curricula for children aged 5-14. They will be responsible for leadership, classroom management, and maintaining a fun, educational environment for a variety camps throughout the summer.
Camps run Monday through Friday from June 11th to August 17th, 2018, with a mandatory one-day training day on Friday, June 1st. Employment shifts vary by position. All summer camp positions are part-time and non-exempt reporting to the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager. These seasonal positions are not eligible for employee benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operate and interface with Fab Lab equipment including Laser Cutter, Vinyl Cutter, 3-D Printer, CNC and Digital Sewing Machine.
- Model ways to safely use machines, equipment, and materials within the Fab Lab to other staff and visitors.
- Assist with preparation of pieces for Fab Lab programming when needed using digital design software, Fab Lab equipment, and hand tools.
- Ensure the care, safety and direct supervision of campers at all times during the camp day.
- Maintain a fun, positive, and friendly demeanor.
- Manage camp group’s drop-off, pick-up, and caregiver communication process daily.
- Evaluate and adapt camp curriculum to provide challenging and developmentally appropriate activities to campers.
- Provide leadership in the classroom for all Teachers and Junior Counselors.
- Serve as an appropriate and positive role model for all campers, caregivers and the general public.
- Work cooperatively to maintain open lines of communication with caregivers, constituents, supervisors and co-workers.
- Develop and send email updates to caregivers.
- Care for BADM supplies, equipment and facilities.
- Attend all leadership, development and staff training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned by Camps leadership staff and/or the Camps and Enrichment Classes Program Manager.
SKILL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working with digital design and fabrication software including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, 3-D rendering applications, and 3-D Slicers.
- Experience running digital design tools including but not limited to: Laser Cutters, 3-D printers, CNC Machines, Vinyl Cutters, and Digital Sewing Machines.
- Design experience/background preferred.
- Demonstrated teaching skills with children 5-14 years old
- Experience working in an informal education, Summer Camp, or makerspace setting
- Classroom management experience
- Experience developing and implementing open-ended learning activities for young children
- Superior customer service experience
- Ability to work flexibly within a team and to take direction
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently
- Mature and hard-working attitude
- Willingness to go above and beyond when the situation calls for it
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Education, Science, Engineering, Design or a related field is a plus
- Availability for all camp sessions, June 11th - August 17th 2018, plus a mandatory training day on Friday, June 1st
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. We offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through the BADM’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To view more information on each available position and apply for employment, please visit:
Applicants should be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter. Please attach your cover letter in step 2 of the online application process when prompted to attach other documents.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.