Mental Health Counselor - HRA Queens SS
Comunilife seeks a qualified candidate for our dynamic orgnaization.
Department/Program: Queens SS Program
The Mental Health Counselor provides mental health related services for HIV/AIDS afflicted clients with mental health needs. Responsible for the timely completion of mental health assessment and collaborating in the development and implementation of service plan(s) for each client admitted to the program.
Duties: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Conduct comprehensive mental health assessments and refer clients if necessary for full psychological evaluations.
2. Provide mental health services and assist with adherence to medication regimens; activities for daily living; nutritional services; recreation programs; assistance in employment assessments, training; prevention with positives; and other necessary services to clients to increase their capacity for independent living. Also, monitor and ensure that clients are linked to needed services.
3. Refer clients to the Vida Guidance Center or other licensed community mental health providers, as appropriate, and collaborate with those providers to ensure compliance with treatment and medication regimens.
4. Provide supportive counseling and encouragement in support of adherence to clinical therapies.
5. Develop and implement weekly groups on Mental Health Education and Support sessions, including sessions on psycho-pharmacological medications and their interactions with other medications.
6. Complete, in a timely manner, all required documentation including comprehensive assessments, reassessments, progress notes of all contacts with clients and/or collaterals.
7. Participate in case conferences, trainings, workshops and seminars as well as meetings with peers and supervisors as required.
8. Assist in the planning and organization of program recreational activities.
9. Participate in weekly supervision.
Qualifications: Education and Experience Requirement(s)
Bachelors Degree in Psychology, Social Work, Human Services or related health field. Minimum two years work experience in mental health service delivery. Familiarity with HIV/AIDS and substance abuse issues. Individual, family and group counseling experience required. Bilingual Spanish preferred.
1. Extensive knowledge of community mental health and other resources.
2. Knowledge of counseling processes and practices.
3. Ability to learn HRA Supportive Housing Program Desk Guide and the HIV/AIDS Program regulations.
4. Responsible, organized, effective, and efficient. Ability to perform multiple assignments simultaneously.
5. Excellent communication skills (effective/active listening, verbal and written)
6. Community minded, patient, creative, flexible, compassionate, and culturally sensitive to persons who are diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, severe and persistent mental illness.
7. Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with other Comunilife employees, Federal, State, and City officials, professional and technical groups, clients, and the general public.
General office work environment. Field work may be required.
Certifications & Licenses Required
Email resume with cover letter: firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA
Minimum Education Required