PSU Student Legal Services is seeking a full-time Paralegal. Position includes great benefits, supportive team environment, consistent hours (no weekend shifts, all shifts are scheduled between 8:30 and 5:30pm with some flexibility to create a schedule that works well for the candidate and our team. Work from home shifts may be available.)
Student Legal Services provides free legal assistance and educational opportunities to students at Portland State University. SLS common matters include Landlord/Tenant, Family Law, Immigration, and more.
About the Position:
The Paralegal is part of a support team for four attorneys and oversees student office assistants. The ideal candidate is highly detail oriented, excited to manage and mentor student employees and interns, and willing to work as part of a team.
See application for full minimum requirements. Candidates may meet a combination of requirements, such as:
- 3 years of sub-paralegal experience (legal assistant, intern etc) OR
- 2 years of Paralegal experience OR
- Bachelor's degree in law-related field OR
- Associates degree in Paralegal Studies OR
- Paralegal certification and some experience working in legal setting
Some Key Duties Include:
- Supervises student office assistants.
- Creates and maintains the office client conflict check system.
- Adheres to the highest standard of confidentiality, FERPA, and HIPAA guidelines.
- Analyzes and interprets legal documents (for example, court pleadings, Oregon DMV records, Oregon eCourt Case Information records).
- E-files state and federal court documents.
- Communicates with state and federal agencies to obtain case-related information.
- Manages attorney calendars including litigation process deadlines, client meetings, and staff meetings.
- Creates and maintains electronic case files in Clio case management software, department computer drive, and other electronic and/or paper systems.
- Answers client and potential client inquiries.
- Manages mail processes.
- Prepares legal correspondence for own signature or signature by an attorney.
- Conducts legal research as assigned by an attorney
- Serves as office Notary Public.
- Assists attorneys in training new staff, interns regarding legal skills and office policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Office Manager, reviews and creates document templates and office processes for greater efficiency.
- Attends meetings between attorney and client or third parties, including as Notary Public, and writes memoranda recording matters discussed.
- Participates in PSU community by attending department, division, and other University meetings and events.
- Helps recruit and train PSU student office assistants.
- Provides backup for Office Manager as needed.
- Other tasks or projects as assigned by attorneys or Office Manager.
How to Apply
Apply through the PSU People Admin Portal: https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/36249
Applications will be reviewed starting 11/29/2021. The position will be open until filled.