2 Brattle Square
Associate Mid-Level Gift Officer
Union of Concerned Scientists
Cambridge, MA Office
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
The Associate Mid-Level Gift Officer is responsible for the management, stewardship, and cultivation of the organization’s mid-level giving society—called the Henry Kendall Society—with the goals of increasing member loyalty, growing the donor universe, and increasing revenue. The Henry Kendall Society is composed of more than 2,000 donors who give $1,000 - $9,999; last year Society members contributed more than $3 million to support the work of UCS.
· Grow the overall number of Society members; retain current members; provide input into solicitations and solicitation strategy that will renew current Society members and move new donors into the Society; and increase the total revenue from all Society members in Fiscal Year 2019.
· Manage a portfolio of approximately 500 donors, which will include creating and implementing a comprehensive cultivation and stewardship plan for these donors, making thank-you calls, and doing other personalized outreach to top-tier donors via phone and email.
· Provide input and review on all Henry Kendall Society direct mail and online fundraising solicitations, as well as ideas to help drive and refine solicitation strategy.
· Write cultivation emails, including programmatic updates, for targeted cultivation of Society members. Write and update annual proposals and final reports requested by Society donors as needed.
· Develop metrics and reports for Society giving in general and targeted portfolio specifically, using data to propose strategies to increase giving from and retention of donors.
· Maintain accuracy of Society donor records in Raiser’s Edge database, including actions and reminders based on phone and email contacts; review and prepare mail merge emails and mailing lists for Society members.
· Coordinate and occasionally staff engagement opportunities with small groups of Society members through event offerings.
· Represent UCS and the Henry Kendall Society program at relevant conferences. Identify and utilize online forums, peer groups, or other opportunities to stay apprised of how peer organizations are managing and growing their mid-level giving programs.
Qualifications and Experience
· Work requires three to five years of comparable and relevant experience with a strong development/fundraising background.
· Requires experience managing and growing the number of donors and revenue from a specific donor group or portfolio.
· Strong writing and communication skills, including comfort with proactively contacting donors by telephone.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
· Database-proficient, with the ability to learn and retain complex data entry and other systems. Knowledge of Blackbaud Raisers Edge a plus.
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines.
· Strong donor relations skills, including a friendly phone manner and the ability to work comfortably with a variety of people.
· A commitment to the environment and interest in the issues UCS works on are a plus.
· Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Requires little or no exertion; spends extended periods at computer terminal. Position requires the ability to perform filing.
· Zero to 5 days of overnight travel may be required per year.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $52,500 annualized. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and how you learned about the position via email to email@example.com and include “Associate Mid-Level Gift Officer” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. Deadline: October 28, 2018, or until filled.