Over the past four decades, China has made great strides in opening its economy to the global market. Its GDP has grown tenfold, emerging as one of the world’s leading economies. This growth, and its accompanying industry, has made China a center for innovation and global leadership. This growth is also accompanied by an increased desire by the population to learn English language skills, making it the ideal environment for WorldTeach Global Education Leaders to advance toward their potential for a successful career in international education and affairs.
As a WorldTeach Global Education Leader, you will combine classroom leadership with professional development opportunities to make yourself more competitive in the global market. In the classroom, you will be a full-time English instructor, leading curriculum for large classes while serving as role models for your students. As a continuing student yourself, you will participate in training conferences and webinars that support personal and professional advancement as an emerging leader. This dual-faceted experience will increase your cultural competency, expand your understanding of global and regional education trends, and cultivate your global citizenship through the program’s curriculum. We have designed this holistic approach to maximize your participation and increase your marketability in your future endeavors.
Participants in the China Year program must:
- Be a native-level English speaker
- Be TEFL or TESOL certified* OR have at least 2 years of education-related, post-college work experience
- Have completed their undergraduate degree by May 15th and have physical diploma in hand by June 1st. If you are a graduating senior, please verify when your diploma will be issued to you with your Registrar.
- Be between the ages of 21 and 60
- Be highly flexible, mature, and have a genuine interest in teaching English
*Applicants for the China Program can get TEFL certified through a modified WorldTeach TEFL Certification Program during pre-departure.
The volunteer contribution to the China Global Leadership program is $2,990. All Global Education Leaders will have access to:
- Internationally-accredited 150-hour TEFL Certificate
- Comparable TEFL Certification Certificate programs average over $1600 USD
- Monthly living stipend that equates to more than $4,500 USD over course of the full program
- Eleven months of housing that saves the equivalent of over $1,500 USD
- Access to graduate school scholarships for WorldTeach alumni
- Three professional development training conferences
- Two virtual panels with scholars and practitioners in education and international affairs
- Previous guests include representatives from UNESCO, University of Hong Kong, Ohio University, Harvard Center Shanghai, and UN’s Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- Intercultural Development Inventory © (IDI) assessment and development plan
- Informational interview program to connect with practitioners in areas of interest
- Alumni network of over 7,000 volunteers and participants
- Discounted enrollment to UN-mandated University for Peace Centre for Executive Education online certificate course
- Increase Intercultural competency through Intercultural Development Inventory © (IDI) assessment and development plan.
- Deepen research skills and emotional intelligence through an Experiential Learning project.
- Gain remote management experience through WorldTeach connection to local non-profit project that connects participating teachers to students in remote regions through classroom technology.
- Develop facilitation skills through structured best-practice sharing with local educators.
- Strengthen public speaking, facilitating, management, and leadership abilities through classroom instruction
Level of Language Proficiency
Applicants must be native English speakers of any nationality between the ages of 21-60.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Year program applications require a resume, a personal statement, one letters of recommendation, and a college/university transcript. Start your application on our website at www.worldteach.org.