590 6th Avenue
The New York Foundling (the "Foundling") is one of the oldest, largest and most well-respected human services agencies in New York. Established as a home for abandoned children, the Foundling has been saving children, preserving families, and building communities since 1869. The Foundling's focus is on child welfare and the developmentally disabled and creating a community where each child, youth and adult enjoys the safe, stable and support relationships needed to reach his or her full physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual potential. We have over 1300 employees located in every borough of New York City, Westchester and Rockland Counties and in Puerto Rico.
We are currently looking to for a Prevention Specialist to support our CAPP Program located throughout all 5 boroughs.
Working with a second Prevention Specialist, each Prevention Specialist will present the CAPP Child Safety Workshop to more than 10,000 NYC school children (currently targeted to the 3rd grade) each year. Prevention Specialists will be responsible for teaching the children how to recognize, resist and report physical and sexual abuse. This position will also require, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Complete all required trainings, including a 6-week training program designed to teach the performance and content skills necessary for CAPP’s curriculum.
- Along with one co-worker, present the Child Safety Workshop to schools in each of the five boroughs, requiring travel throughout the five boroughs and coordination with co-presenter. Prevention Specialists may be required to make more than one presentation per day, and will be responsible for set-up and clean-up before and after presentations.
- Meet individually with children to discuss, in an appropriate manner, any reports of abuse or potential abuse.
- Liaise with guidance counselors/social workers/teachers immediately before Workshop commences to review minimal facts interview procedure and provide appropriate follow-up resources and reference materials.
- Complete intake of any disclosures following each presentation, including contact with New York State Central Registry, if appropriate.
- Following each presentation, meet with team partner, school guidance counselor/social worker to determine follow up recommendations for each disclosure of abuse.
- Document disclosures and follow-up notes as instructed.
- Communicate any concerning cases immediately to Program Director.
- Follow- up with school partners as appropriate.
- Participate in case meetings.
- Facilitate full-day professional trainings on minimal facts interviewing and recognizing signs of child abuse and maltreatment for guidance counselors, social workers, and other school support staff.
- Facilitate Positive Parenting Workshops, speaking with parents about New York State Law and an alternative to corporal punishment called the 4 Rs: any response to a child’s behavior should be Relatedto the behavior, Respectful(rather than shaming), Reasonablein proportion to the behavior, and Revealedin advance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Level of Language Proficiency
- BA/BS in Social Work, Psychology; Sociology, Mental Health Counseling, Education,Health Sciences or closely related degree.
- Ability to stand holding 10 lb life –size puppet for hour-long Child Safety Workshop presentation
- Must have valid NY,NJ or PA driver’s license.
- Access to a car is required.
- Experience working with children
- Ability to work as a partner and confidentially on their own
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Excellent organizational and technological skills; proficient in Microsoft Office suite (WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT)
- Flexible, punctual, and comfortable speaking publicly
- Ability to multi task, as well as work independently.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Foundling offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, tuition reimbursement, in-service training, flexible work schedules and competitive salaries. We invite you to join our dedicated & diverse workforce by applying on our website at www.nyfoundling.org/about/jobs/. The position is listed as Prevention Specialist, req # 18-0694.