Digital Content and Program Associate, Botstiber Institute for Austrian-American Studies
- Job posted by Dietrich W. Botstiber Foundation
Details: Hourly rate, based on qualifications.
200 East State Street
Suite 306 & Suite 308
About the Organization
The Dietrich W. Botstiber Foundation is a 501(c) (3) private philanthropic foundation located in Media, PA, fulfilling the charitable intentions set forth by the late Dietrich W. Botstiber: to provide scholarships to talented students of good moral character in the fields of science, technology, and commerce; to promote an understanding of the historic relationship between the United States and Austria; and to support programs that prevent cruelty to animals and human beings.
About the Botstiber Institute for Austrian-American Studies (BIAAS)
BIAAS was founded in 2008 as a program of The Dietrich W. Botstiber Foundation to “promote an understanding of the historic relationship between the United States and Austria,” including the lands of the historical Habsburg empire. The Institute accomplishes this goal by awarding grants and fellowships, organizing lectures and conferences, and publishing the Journal of Austrian-American History. BIAAS strives to be a leader in the field of Austrian-American studies through its grants and fellowship programs, events, digital initiatives, and publications. BIAAS works to expand the audience for Austrian-American studies among scholars and the broader public. More information is available at botstiber.org.
The Foundation seeks a part-time BIAAS Digital Content and Program Associate to serve as a core member of the Foundation’s programmatic staff. This role oversees the creation of podcasts, videos, blogs, and online exhibits for BIAAS’s website and coordinates the institute’s social media presence. The BIAAS Program Associate will be one of three staff, responsible for the institute’s scholarly and public events each year. The Program Associate reports to the BIAAS Associate Director. Successful candidates will possess excellent communication and organization skills as well as the ability to insightfully monitor the Institute’s landscape.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The following list of job duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive and is meant to present a general outline of the position.
· Oversee the creation of website content, such as
o Preparing podcast interviews by researching and preparing questions and interviewing scholars (remotely and in person)
o Assist in the creation of online exhibits and/or videos by locating images and other resources and researching and writing content
o Gathering contributions for and occasionally creating posts for BIAAS’s blog
· Coordinate the institute’s social media presence (including Facebook and Twitter) to
o Promote the research done by BIAAS grant and fellowship recipients
o Develop an online community engaged in Austrian-American history
o Inform the public of programming sponsored or produced by BIAAS
· Oversee the planning of several BIAAS-sponsored academic and public events in Europe and North America each year, whether conferences, panels, lectures, film screenings, or other activities.
Journal of Austrian-American History
· Assist with tasks related to preparing content for and publishing the Journal of Austrian-American History as requested by the editor.
· Training or previous experience in digital humanities or public history
- Ability to respectfully engage in debate, consider, and refute/defend arguments
· Ability to work in a small office environment
· Demonstrates intellectual curiosity, self-motivation, and shared Foundation values
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Previous administrative work experience
· Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite, scanning documents, and internet search
· Excellent communication skills; written, verbal, and interpersonal
· Qualities of dedication, integrity, teamwork, flexibility, and accountability
· Willingness to learn new skills and systems as needed by the organization
· Position requires sitting at a desk, mobility around office, and occasionally moving supplies and office equipment, when necessary
· Content expertise in American or Austrian history or related discipline, optional
- Additional computer skills: Wordpress and desktop publishing
· Copy editing skills, desired
This is a flexible part-time position, averaging 15 hours a week dependent upon work load. Working days are typically Monday-Thursday with Fridays as an exception.
Two weeks paid time-off per calendar year, which is prorated based on start date. Flexible schedule and hours.
Minimum Education Required