Details: The salary range for this position is $39,000 to $42,000, commensurate with experience
Title: Philadelphia Organizer
Reports to: Philadelphia Organizing Manager
Salary: $39,000 to $42,000, commensurate with experience
Work Schedule: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: Philadelphia, PA
The National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum is the only national, multi-issue advocacy organization in the United States with the mission to build collective power of all AAPI women and girls to gain full agency over our lives, our families, and our communities. Founded in 1996, we are a growing and dynamic organization with staff in five offices and local volunteer-led chapters in fifteen cities.
NAPAWF is seeking an independent, self-starting, and entrepreneurial community organizer in Philadelphia. The Organizer is responsible for growing our base & organizational capacity in Philadelphia, and coordinating our Philadelphia chapter leadership in building relationships with a broad array of non-profit organizations, faith-based leadership, low wage workers, immigrant, and university student leadership centered on building power for AAPI women and girls around a reproductive justice, economic justice, and immigration agenda. They will also be responsible for working with the Field Director to build a strong coalition centered on building power for AAPI women and girls around a reproductive justice agenda. The organizer will additionally be responsible for developing and coordinating various programmatic activities that will represent NAPAWF’s mission and vision effectively to a wide range of audiences.
An ideal candidate will have a strong desire to learn about community organizing and social justice with a proven ability to build strong relationships with diverse constituencies, mobilize grassroots leadership, and develop and execute programmatic events. The Philadelphia Organizer must be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a unique and dynamic workload.
The Philadelphia Organizer is responsible for the following:
- Outreach and Recruitment: The Organizer is responsible for identifying outreach locations and lead recruitment efforts for the Philadelphia NAPAWF area.
- Once contacts are surfaced the Organizer will provide follow up and motivate them to become members of NAPAWF.
- Conducting at least 10 weekly one-on-ones with AAPI women, and gender non-conforming student leaders in the Philadelphia area to gain deeper insights to the interests and needs among the diverse youth AAPI communities given the current political climate, with the emphasis of listening for Immigrant and Reproductive Justice concerns.
- Engages in leadership development of contacts, members and leaders.
- Organize and host community events to educate AAPIs in Philadelphia on issues concerning AAPI young women
- Work with the National Field Director to organize coalition events and meetings
- Begin building a base of AAPI leaders that understand reproductive justice and want to make change inside their communities and among their peer circles.
- Engages community and allies in reproductive justice, immigration, and economic justice advocacy efforts.
- Facilitates and plans trainings and meetings with NAPAWF’s base, allies and community members.
- The Organizer will build NAPAWF’s FIERCE Women’s Committee in Philadelphia. The FIERCE committee will be comprised of member leaders that want to be more active in NAPAWF’s organizing campaigns.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship building, are results oriented, and have strong project management skills. You should have:
- A strong commitment to the issues of AAPI and/or immigrant women and girls, health, social justice and human rights.
- Experience in faith-based ministry and/or student organizing or workers organizing or general group leadership.
- Experience in leading trainings or in workshop facilitation. Generally strong people skills, and comfort talking in front of large groups.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar, and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Openness to learning and working within a small, dynamic and growing organization.
- Experience in voter education and mobilization campaigns is a plus.
- Proficiency in Khmer, Burmese, or Vietnamese languages is a plus.
NAPAWF is a union shop that is represented by the Campaign Workers Guild. All benefits will be negotiated as a part of the contract that the guild will bargain for on your behalf.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Philadelphia Organizer” in the subject line.