Team Fox Athletics Officer; Community (Grassroots) Fundraising
- Job posted by The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD). The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest global funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U. S. federal government, having funded over $750 million in research projects in both academic and industry labs worldwide.
Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various therapeutic strategies and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. In order to achieve our mission of finding a cure for PD it is critical that we engage with, and bring together, members of the PD community including researchers, physicians, health professionals and most important, people with Parkinson's and their families. We believe that raising the Foundation’s profile with a broader audience will help us more efficiently reach and mobilize highly engaged stakeholders who are more likely to feel personally vested in helping speed progress toward a cure.
We believe that to find a cure for PD as quickly as possible, our capital needs to push research forward today—we therefore deliberately have no endowment. We instead start our fundraising from zero each year and seek to deploy funds raised as quickly and wisely as possible. MJFF raises over $90 million annually. Today, the Foundation has approximately 135 full-time employees who are based in New York City. This is an onsite position and is not conducive to telecommuting.
Team Fox is MJFF’s grassroots fundraising program which is focused on raising funds and awareness for Parkinson’s research in local communities. Team Fox members all across the United States and in select international cities work with the Team Fox staff to receive special resources and tools to help turn marathons, golf tournaments or special events into fundraising opportunities. Some Team Fox fundraisers honor a loved one, some celebrate an occasion and many just want to make a difference in our goal to eradicate Parkinson’s disease.
In the eleven years since Team Fox was created, members have raised an astounding $65 million with revenues expected to top $10 million in 2018. This diverse community of change-makers continues to grow and inspire us every day. MJFF is poised to dramatically expand this program in the coming years and seeks an experienced and dynamic development officer to staff this exciting and growing program.
The position of Team Fox Officer is a unique opportunity for a dedicated, entrepreneurial, results-oriented community fundraiser to make a significant impact on our growing athletic program within Team Fox community fundraisers. The Team Fox Officer will work closely with the Director, Team Fox to promote, recruit, manage and retain sponsored athletic programs and their members across the country (including New York City Marathon, Chicago Marathon, Walt Disney World Marathon, NYC Half Marathon, etc.). In 2017, over 550 athletes participated in 12 events throughout the US and Canada. Additionally the Team Fox Officer will work closely to retain athletes whether within the athletic program or via other Team Fox fundraising. This is an onsite position in our New York City office and is not conducive to telecommuting.
- Implement and manage seasonal promotions, recruitment strategies, and registration and commitment management for Team Fox Athletic programs
- Day-to-day stewardship of new and returning Team Fox members and their contributors
- Responsible for pre-event (and post-event when applicable) logistics and communications
- 25% travel to athletic events and Team Fox member events. *Travel and attendance on weekends is anticipated
- In association with Team Fox staff and management, develop strategies to significantly expand base of members and new revenue possibilities
- Help to coordinate grassroots marketing and promotions in target markets. This will include planning and attending informational community events
- Collaborate with digital communications team on annual Team Fox online marketing/ and media plan
- Manage revenue and expense budgets, including reports and reconciliation
- Ensure coordination and collaboration between the Team Fox staff and all Development team members
- Responsible for creating and developing partnerships with other related organizations, stores, races, companies, etc. that will help further our mission
- Create incentive and stewardship programs to ensure retention of Team Fox members
Key qualities of an outstanding Officer are strong interpersonal skills, positive disposition, strong written and verbal communication skills, goal-oriented, excellent decision-making and judgment skills, strong project management skills as well an innate sense of pace and urgency. Equally important is the ability to work productively and proactively, both independently and as part of a larger team.
- The ideal candidate must have a minimum of two to three (2-3) years demonstrated experience of success in development or relationship management at a not-for-profit, commensurate experience in the private sector or in an entrepreneurial setting, with a proven track record of organizing community fundraising events, ideally programs with a national scope
- Experience working on similar endurance sports training/fundraising programs desirable but not required
- Experience in project management
- Proficient in Excel and MS Office Suite
- Experience in social networking and website tools and administration
- Strong data analysis skills and working with budgets
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and public speaking experience
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Experience in supervising volunteer development programs (mentors, ambassadors, committees etc.)
- B.A. Degree required
- Valid Driver’s License
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing their specific qualifications and interest in the position here. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. Please, no telephone inquiries and do not contact our staff directly. Only applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required