PO Box 32040
Volunteer Lawyers for Justice (VLJ), a Newark-based legal services organization dedicated to serving
the legal needs of the poor in New Jersey, seeks two (2) attorneys to fill temporary vacancies in the
office. VLJ’s mission is to improve the lives of economically disadvantaged adults, children, and families
living in New Jersey by empowering them with the tools, advice, and pro bono representation needed to
obtain fair and equal treatment within the legal system. To carry out its mission, VLJ operates a number
of distinct legal programs, which include a Bankruptcy Program, Children’s Representation Program,
Child Support Program, Consumer Program, Disaster Legal Response Program, Divorce Program,
Promise Neighborhood Program, Reentry Legal Program, Tenancy Clinic, Trafficking Victims Legal
Assistance Program, and Veterans Legal Program. More information about VLJ can be found at our
website at www.vljnj.org.
VLJ will hire two (2) attorneys for six-month, temporary positions from September 2018 through
• One attorney will work exclusively on VLJ’s New Jersey Human Trafficking Victims Legal
Assistance Program, providing representation on a variety of civil legal issues for survivors of
• One attorney will oversee and/or provide support on a number of VLJ’s other programs, that
involve, but are not limited to, housing, bankruptcy, and education legal issues.
Responsibilities will include client representation, coordinating VLJ programs; reviewing intake and
advising clients; staffing legal clinics; recruiting, training and supporting pro bono attorneys; placing
cases with volunteer attorneys; managing attorney and client data and files; and conducting outreach in
VLJ seeks highly motivated attorneys with a demonstrated commitment to public interest law for this
position. The ideal candidate will have:
• License to practice law in the state of NJ
• Experience working in civil legal services, law school clinic, fellowship, and/or clerkship is
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Fluency in Spanish is preferred
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
• Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Candidates should be detail-oriented, have the ability to work both as part of a team and
independently and have the flexibility to attend morning or evening meetings/activities
• Sensitivity to the needs and problems of low-income persons
• Some travel throughout New Jersey will be required
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this position, send a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and a resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please include "Staff
Attorney” in the subject line of your email.
Volunteer Lawyers for Justice is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Salary commensurate with experience.