2400 Ridge Road
The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) seeks a Director of Human Resources to guide and manage the human resources services, programs and policies for the school.
Located in Berkeley, California, The GTU is the largest and most diverse partnership of seminaries and graduate schools in the United States, pursuing interreligious collaboration in teaching, research, ministry, and service. Visit our website at www.gtu.edu for more information about the school.
PRIMARY POSITION PURPOSE
The Director works collaboratively across the GTU to develop and improve human resource programs and services for the benefit of staff, faculty, and students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead efforts to create an employee oriented, high performance work culture that emphasizes productivity, quality, and goal attainment.
- Provide leadership for continuous improvement of policies, procedures, and processes and onboarding of new employees. Create, implement and manage employment policies, practices and documentation.
- In collaboration with senior manager, develop and evaluate HR goals, expected outcomes and priorities in support of the overall goals and objectives of the school.
- Manage the compensation function, including monitoring and scheduling pay actions, recommending, planning and implementing pay structures, and planning and implementing salary administration policies.
- Lead employee relations function. Identify, evaluate, and resolve human relations, employee morale, work performance, and organizational productivity concerns. Investigate employee complaints, direct employee disciplinary procedures, and resolve workplace disputes. Function as Deputy Title IX Coordinator.
- Oversee the administration and effectiveness of the benefits function including worker’s compensation, medical, dental, vision, life, disability, paid leave, flexible spending, retirement, and other sponsored benefit programs.
- Oversee recruitment and retention strategies. Ensure compliance with appropriate federal and state laws and regulations. Promote a diverse staff.
- Manage and maintain employee records, ensuring compliance with the appropriate federal, state and GTU record keeping requirements.
- Create, implement, and maintain performance management and work improvement systems. Ensure all job descriptions are up-to-date and accurate.
- Maintain HR information systems and employee records.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory concerns and advise management on compliance issues.
- Organize and oversee employee orientation, development and training.
- Manage annual reports on HR data & periodic metrics tracking.
- Maintain a customer-focused and responsive work environment.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and physical demands listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential, principal duties.
Education: Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of related HR experience in a leadership role.
- Considerable knowledge and applied experience with CA employment practices, policies, payroll and benefits administration
- Strong employee customer service orientation with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including creating reports and making presentations
- Advanced computer skills including MS Office Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and previous experience with an HRIS/Payroll system
- Able and skilled at taking initiative and exercising sound judgment at all times
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities and projects simultaneously & with composure
- At least five years of supervisory experience
- Must be professional, diplomatic and able to serve a variety of constituents with equity, fairness and tact
- PHR or SHRM-CP certification preferred
- Social Skills - Ability to relate collegially, cooperatively and effectively in a multi cultural and diverse context, with staff, faculty and students. Ability to handle occasional emotionally charged situations appropriately.
- Reading/Math - Excellent reading skills required. Ability to perform basic math and calculate figures and amounts such as percentages. Ability to apply these concepts to spread sheets.
- Supervision - Ability to supervise occasional temporary workers effectively and in accordance with the school's policies and applicable laws.
- Judgment/Decision Making - Ability to make sound judgments and decisions independently and in conjunction with others.
Competitive salary, dependent on qualifications, plus excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required