Preble Street’s administrative team is seeking a Human Resources Generalist to provide professional-level, essential support to the agency’s HR function. The HR Generalist will work closely with the Director of HR and will be actively involved in the daily HR-related operations of all agency functional groups and social services programs. The responsibilities of this position will include hiring, orientation and onboarding; benefits administration; compliance; employee relations; training; safety; leave administration; and policy implementation.
Success in the HR Generalist role requires the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of employment laws and regulations (FLSA, ERISA, ADA, FMLA, NLRA, IRCA, Title VII, etc.);
- Practical knowledge of and experience with benefits administration;
- Commitment to continual learning;
- Experience with payroll and HRIS systems (ADP Workforce Now preferred);
- Ability to clearly and respectfully communicate ideas, policies, and expectations;
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to propose solutions to address needs and concerns;
- Excellent critical thinking skills, with the ability to analyze and synthesize information from various sources;
- Motivation to produce high-quality work with an emphasis on accuracy and completion;
- Approach to the work that demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to Preble Street’s mission.
This is an exempt position, offering competitive compensation including generous insurance and paid time off benefits, as well as an Employee Assistance Plan and a 403B Retirement Plan with employer match.
Level of Language Proficiency
A bachelor’s degree, experience in a HR Generalist role, and SHRM certification are the preferred qualifications for the position; however, candidates with any combination of experience and education likely to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in the position will be considered.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also send your application materials via postal mail to:
Preble Street, Human Resources, 38 Preble Street, Portland, ME 04101
Please note: Automatically-generated confirmations of receipt will be sent in response to applications sent via email. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be otherwise contacted.
Preble Street is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, military status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all of Preble Street’s hiring practices, and all terms and conditions of employment.