100 North Washington Street
The Massachusetts Service Alliance (MSA) builds a stronger social fabric in our communities through service and volunteerism. We are committed to increasing the number of people engaged in meaningful volunteer opportunities across Massachusetts that are both fulfilling for the volunteers and that meet critical needs in our community. Our mission is to catalyze the innovation and growth of service and volunteerism by creating partnerships that maximize resources, expertise, capacity and impact and to invest public and private funds in community-based organizations in a fair and equitable manner.
Through our services we engage over 1,400 AmeriCorps and Commonwealth Corps members and thousands of volunteers annually, improving academic and social and emotional outcomes for 13,600 youth, maintaining over 400 acres of park and public lands and 92 miles of trails and rivers, and providing legal assistance to 4,475 low-income individuals.
We care passionately about community service and our employees.
The Commonwealth Corps Program
The Commonwealth Corps program engages Massachusetts residents of all ages and backgrounds in service to strengthen communities, address unmet community needs, and increase volunteerism. Since the Commonwealth Corps program was established in 2007, nearly 1,000 individuals have served at host site partner organizations across the Commonwealth providing over 650,000 hours of service in the health and nutrition, education, workforce development, youth violence prevention, and veteran support focus areas. No other state in the country has a state-funded service corps program focused solely on state residents.
Job Description Summary
The Commonwealth Corps Program Manager is a member of the program team and is responsible for the oversight and management of the Commonwealth Corps program. Each year, up to 50 Commonwealth Corps members from very diverse backgrounds serve with approximately 20 host site organizations across Massachusetts. Primary responsibilities of the position include overall program implementation, member and host site management and support, training for members and host sites, and supervision of the Commonwealth Corps Program Assistant. This position reports to the Director of Programs.
• Provide overall supervision and support of the Commonwealth Corps members, host site supervisors, and staff to ensure an impactful service experience.
• Oversee the supervision and support of the full-time Program Assistant and their administrative and programmatic responsibilities.
• Create a service environment that is inclusive and values diversity.
• Manage the host site recruitment and selection process.
• Support the community of host site partners and Commonwealth Corps members through the development and delivery of training for members and host site organization staff; managing and resolving member and host site challenges as they arise; conducting regular phone and email communication and conducting site visits.
• Develop and deliver host site partner and member professional development sessions, including member and host site orientation, member monthly training and/or reflection sessions, webinars, and additional training opportunities throughout the year (partnering with outside consultants and trainers when appropriate).
• Develop and implement alumni programming.
• Coordinate with internal and external partners to promote Commonwealth Corps and pursue additional resources.
• Maintain robust program communications, including social media, newsletters, etc.
• Manage program budget to maximize available resources.
• Utilize data for program evaluation, dissemination of program highlights, and continuous improvement efforts.
• Develop a holistic approach to member support with a focus on members’ growth and impact through their service roles.
• Provide technical assistance and support to host sites for recruitment and selection of corps members.
• Lead efforts to build espirit-de-corps among corps members, such as all-corps events, service projects, and communication with corps members.
• Five or more years of experience in direct service and program management, particularly working with community partners and providing coaching and support to a diverse team of individuals.
• High level of confidence and experience with the development and delivery of training for a wide variety of participants.
• Strong demonstrated commitment to and understanding of service and volunteerism.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively to build strong, productive relationships with diverse individuals and organizations to achieve common goals.
• Strong communication skills and problem-solving ability.
• Comfort with mediation and difficult conversations.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Strong organizational skills and a desire to work in a fast-paced environment dedicated to community service.
• Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office.
• Positive, motivated, and flexible attitude with a sense of humor.
• A valid driver’s license and the ability and willingness to travel frequently within Massachusetts.
• Personal experience with corps-based service and statewide programming as a member and/or program staff.
• Massachusetts residency.
• Proficient in the use of Salesforce.
• Prior supervision experience.
The Massachusetts Service Alliance is committed to hiring practices that support the values of a diverse workplace and reflect the composition of the Massachusetts communities it serves. MSA is an equal opportunity employer and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. MSA does not discriminate against any employees or job applicants on the basis of any legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Reasonable accommodations available upon request.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume by email to:
Beth McGuinness, Director of Programs
Please be sure to include “Commonwealth Corps Program Manager” in the subject heading.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with priority to given to individuals who apply by Friday, November 23rd. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
For more information about the Massachusetts Service Alliance, please visit www.mass-service.org.