The Southwest Detroit Immigrant and Refugee Center (SWIRC) provides free and low-cost legal services to underserved communities in the Detroit area, particularly for immigrants and refugees. We are hiring a part-time bi-lingual paralegal who will work closely with our legal staff to provide high-quality services to our clients.
Under the guidance of the attorneys, the paralegal will:
• Serve Spanish-speaking clients, primarily in preparing immigration cases, including responsibilities such as
- drafting affidavits, legal correspondence, and other documents for attorneys;
- assisting clients in completing immigration forms for attorney review;
- organizing exhibits, communicating with witnesses, and otherwise helping attorneys and clients prepare for hearings; and
- investigating facts and gathering documents needed for cases;
• Ensure efficient, client-centered provision of services at a weekly walk-in legal clinic in Pontiac;
• Conduct intake interviews with potential clients;
• Organize and maintain client and clinic documents and files;
• File pleadings with courts and agencies;
• Keep clients abreast of activity in their cases;
• Coordinate with community partners to help clients access social services;
• Gather and input client and volunteer data and help prepare grant reports;
• And similar responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualiﬁcations:
• Fluency in speaking and writing in English and Spanish (required);
• Experience serving vulnerable communities;
• Proven success working independently and managing multiple responsibilities at once;
• Associate or bachelor’s degree or completion of an ABA-approved paralegal certification program. Candidates without a degree or certificate but with equivalent experience will be considered;
• Excellent communication and organization skills;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word and Excel;
• Ability to function effectively in a busy, team-oriented environment;
• Office administration experience; and
• Attention to detail. When you apply, please add a “P.S.” to your cover letter and brieﬂy tell us about a meaningful cross-cultural experience you’ve had.
Please note that our partner organization Centro Multicultural La Familia (https://www.centromulticultural.org/) is also hiring a part-time case advocate, a position which will serve a similar client population. For candidates looking for a full-time position, our organizations would coordinate the roles, permitting the right candidate to combine the two.
The Southwest Detroit Immigrant and Refugee Center (SWIRC) provides free and low-cost legal services to underserved communities in the Detroit area, particularly for immigrants and refugees. We are hiring a part-time bi-lingual…
Fluency in English and Spanish.
Fluency in English and Spanish.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter, describing your interest and relevant experience, to Amy Myers at email@example.com. You may also direct any questions to the same email address. We hope to hire quickly. We will accept applications through February 28, 2020, but encourage interested candidates to submit their applications early. We will review applications as we receive them.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter, describing your interest and relevant experience, to Amy Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also direct any questions to…