Details: Commensurate with experience
99 Madison Ave
Job Title: Finance Manager
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Location: New York, NY
citiesRISE is a new multi-stakeholder initiative formed as a response to the concern that, despite the existence of effective models, current fragmented and small-scale efforts fail to address the rising tide of mental health problems globally. The mission of citiesRISE is to mobilize leadership, resources and practical action by scaling evidence-based approaches and promising models for mental health, through a network of cities. Launched in 2016, citiesRISE is now positioned to significantly broaden its impact by expanding current initiatives and launching global programming to bring sustainable progress to communities, particularly young people within underserved populations, across the world. citiesRISE has established substantive partnerships to catalyze collective actions across sectors and fundamentally transform the story of mental health around the world. citiesRISE was recently featured at the World Economic Forum’s 2018 Annual Meeting. Learn more at cities-rise.org.
About the Position
The Finance Manager, a new role at citiesRISE, is a unique opportunity for a nonprofit financial management professional with an interest in global operations to assist in the design and implementation of finance solutions and strategies. The successful candidate will be a proactive and participative professional who will lead in the areas of finance, budgeting, and grants management. The Finance Manager will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and collaborate with the senior leadership team as citiesRISE continues to grow and enhance its programming. This is a tremendous opportunity for a skilled finance professional to strengthen the internal capacity of a rapidly growing and high-impact initiative.
● Developing and implementing fiscal strategy with emphasis on allocation of resources across functional expenses to meet the standards of the industry.
● Managing the daily operations of the organization’s financial and accounting components, including timely monthly closings, reconciliations, and compliance.
● Conducting financial analysis, developing reports and metrics to assist the management team with financial decision-making.
● Working with the citiesRISE team on multi-year budgeting and modeling that will include revenue, expense, cash forecasting and key financial indicators.
● Creating initiative-wide budgets and projections. Providing financial reporting, including budget vs. actual reports to the Steering Committee, the management team, and other team members.
● Developing and continually improving financial management policies and procedures, including in budgeting, fund projections, and reporting.
● Managing audit and tax reporting functions by coordinating activities with audit firm and other service providers.
● Supporting the preparation of citiesRISE project proposals and related budgets; assisting with funder reports.
● Reviewing contracts and ensuring accurate expenditure reporting and compliance.
● Ensuring complete documentation of funding awards.
● Working with City Directors and City Managers to comply with funders’ terms and conditions, monitoring expenditures, providing expenditure projections and sub-recipient administration.
● Designing and building financial management infrastructure for citiesRISE initiatives.
citiesRISE is looking for candidates with a mastery of hands-on accounting, exceptional critical thinking skills, deep financial management experience in an international non-profit and/or government-funded grants environment, and advanced capacity for systems thinking and team leadership.
● An authentic appreciation of the mission and work of citiesRISE.
● Minimum of a BA in related field (Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance) or equivalent.
● 7+ years of professional experience managing nonprofit funds, grants accounting and administration, and international nonprofit finances. Experience in management consulting and/or start-up environment is a plus.
● Proficiency in all aspects of non-profit accounting and finance.
● Proficiency in grants management.
● Proficiency in information technology and standard software programs to effectively utilize account systems, MS Office applications, Google Apps, and other data management system, as well as experience in financial systems integration.
● Demonstrated experience navigating contractual language.
● Excellent data presentation skills and the ability to translate financial concepts and data clearly to a wide range of audiences.
● Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and implement financial management infrastructure (e.g., developing operational policies).
● Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
● Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of citiesRISE initiative.
Compensation and Benefits
This position will be based in New York. Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
citiesRISE provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required