Details: Commensurate with experience
110 North San Joaquin Street
This is a cross-posted job which will be hired by our partner agency the Reinvent South Stockton Coalition, a project of the Tides Center
Position Context: The Stockton Economic Empowerment Demonstration, or SEED, is the country’s first city-led guaranteed income initiative. Beginning in 2019, the demonstration will provide approximately 100 Stocktonians with a guaranteed income of $500 per month for 18 months. The income will be unconditional, meaning there are no work requirements and no restrictions on how the money can be spent.
SEED is designed as a demonstration that yields not only quantitative data, but also fresh narratives and dialogues about how a guaranteed income can impact people’s lives. A successful program is one that both directly aids those in need, and also is able to tell those stories to a wide range of audiences. The stories that emerge from Stockton have the potential to shift the national dialogue around poverty, inequality, and economic insecurity.
Position Description: SEED is searching for a highly motivated individual to serve as the full time Resident Storyteller for this groundbreaking initiative that has already garnered significant national attention. The Resident Storyteller will be responsible for spearheading the storytelling work across the life of the Demonstration. This individual will be responsible for executing local projects, interfacing with media, and producing original content that captures the story of SEED.
- Work with Director and key stakeholders to develop and guide the creative direction of SEED
- In collaboration with SEED director and key stakeholders, develop a comprehensive communications strategy for the Demonstration
- Produce original content that evokes emotions and tells compelling, people-centered stories
- Project manage existing and future storytelling projects - ensure that key deliverables are completed; facilitate project promotion and dissemination
- Identify new opportunities to bring in partners and tell the story of SEED
- Use creative production techniques and new forms of media to enhance stories
- Establish strong media relationship with local and national TV, radio and newspaper outlets
- Design and develop promotional and outreach materials
- Manage website redesign and launch process in collaboration with jey stakeholders and external contractors
- Regularly update SEED social media accounts
- Source and manage relationships with external vendors
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; background/4+ years of professional experience related to marketing, communications, journalism or storytelling
- Passion for uplifting Stocktonians and highlighting the lived experiences of those experiencing financial insecurity
- Strategic, out-of-the-box thinker who is willing and able to push the envelope
- Confident leadership, writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to coordinate and oversee the story collection, production, and distribution process
- Ability to manage and adapt in a constantly evolving and changing environment; comfort working with ambiguity
- Proven success in managing multiple projects and timelines
- Understanding the strength of diversity, and the need for solutions to support all regardless of race, religion, gender, immigration status, or ethnicity
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or other graphic design softwares a plus
- Photography and videography skills a plus
- Past journalism experience preferred
- Experience living or working in Stockton in a plus; willingness to be based in Stockton or spend considerable time in Stockton over the next two years required.
Competitive benefits package; medial, dental, vision.
Level of Language Proficiency
Dual language fluency would be viewed as an asset
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a resume, and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include “Application - SEED Storyteller” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about SEED, visit our website at stocktondemonstration.org