District of Columbia
Foundation Relations Coordinator
Reports to: Director, Foundation Relations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
American Progress seeks a self-starter able to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment for the position of Foundation Relations Coordinator. The Coordinator will work closely with the Foundation Relations Director and Managers to drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from this constituency over the next several years. This individual will research prospects, help develop foundation briefings, compile proposal and report materials, help track donor outreach and submission of proposals and reports, and update the American Progress Salesforce database on an ongoing basis, among other activities. This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is committed to a progressive policy agenda.
The Foundation Relations unit works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization.
- Manage prospect research for the foundations portfolio, including identifying and profiling potential donors, tracking prospect outreach, and measuring outcomes.
· Help prepare briefings for policy staff and leadership in advance of meetings and telephone calls with prospects and donors.
· Maintain library of CAP and CAP Action institutional language for use in funding proposals and reports, and liaise with internal contacts—including Legal, Finance, and Human Resources—to update.
· Assist members of the Foundation Relations team in drafting donor correspondence as needed.
· Compile attachments to letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports—as required by foundation guidelines—and work with the Legal and Finance departments to obtain necessary signatures for submission. Enter application and reporting materials into foundation portals as needed.
· Prepare and circulate funding announcements internally and draft donor acknowledgment and disclosure materials. Obtain signatures necessary to complete award documents before returning to donors.
· Work with Foundation Relations and Finance teams to review grant spending and identify potential issues that could affect reporting or projected renewals.
· Compile grant reporting information needed by policy teams and Finance to kick off the grant reporting process.
- Work closely with the Director of Foundation Relations to track Foundation Relations’ performance metrics on a quarterly basis and report out to the larger Development team.
· Update Salesforce database on an ongoing basis, working with the Foundation Relations and Development Operations teams to ensure that data are accurate and complete. Manage a series of monthly and ongoing data integrity audits for foundation relations.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
§ Excellent organizational, research, and written and verbal communication skills.
§ Ability to think strategically and to anticipate and orchestrate next steps.
§ Ability to work as a team player.
§ Familiarity with the basic tenets of foundation fundraising and nonprofit management.
§ Comfort working with basic financial data.
§ Ability to initiate, prioritize, and follow-through on plans.
§ Ability to balance big-picture thinking with attention to detail.
§ Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
§ Bachelor’s degree.
§ One to three years of experience in a development department, or relevant work experience supporting the cultivation and stewardship of foundations relationships.
§ Experience conducting research using secondary source material.
§ Computer literacy: Proficiency in Word, Excel, and donor databases is preferable. Salesforce experience is a plus.
§ Commitment to American Progress’ mission and the ability to translate that commitment into compelling donor communications.
§ Knowledge of current affairs and familiarity with progressive issues, causes, and organizations.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file, upload the file, and complete the application through the link below.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.