Details: Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
POSITION: The Literacy Lab is seeking a detail-oriented, hard-working, organized full-time Special Assistant to support the organization’s Co-CEOs in the Washington, DC office. The Special Assistant ensures that the Co-CEOs are set up for success on a daily basis by managing schedules, coordinating travel, preparing, adapting, and editing correspondence and documents, and anticipating and solving issues in advance to ensure smooth day-to-day operations. This position is an excellent opportunity to work alongside the organization’s founders and leaders and gain a deep understanding of internal and external nonprofit operations as The Literacy Lab continues to grow in pursuit of its mission to close the literacy achievement gap.
ABOUT THE LITERACY LAB: The Literacy Lab is a fast-paced, Washington, DC-based nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide low-income children with individualized reading instruction to improve their literacy skills, leading to greater success in school and increased opportunities in life. We partner with school districts to add capacity in high-need schools to close the literacy achievement gap for children before third grade. In 2018, The Literacy Lab will serve 5,500 children across six states.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Special Assistant, who is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Co-CEOs:
· Prepares, reviews, proofreads, and adapts written documents and presentations for meetings and events.
· Conducts and shares research on stakeholders, current events, and other topics to prepare Co-CEOs for each day
· Coordinates and manages travel plans and itineraries for the Co-CEOs to carefully use organizational resources and maximize efficiency
· Assists in the process of reviewing and preparing grants and other development-related communications to ensure that all submissions and documents are accurate and on time
· Efficiently manages correspondence, calendars, and schedules for the Co-CEOs in a way that maximizes time usage in line with organizational priorities
· Prepares meeting agendas, creates positive meeting environments, takes notes, and tracks necessary follow up tasks from meetings and events
· Conducts correspondence and outreach with external partners in line with The Literacy Lab’s core values and tone and with attention to detail
· Performs general office duties including managing information systems such as SalesForce, QuickBooks, Dropbox, Google Drive, receipts, grant notices, and hard copy files to organize information and make it easily accessible
· Assists with day-to-day tasks such as mailings and deliveries, ordering supplies, picking up food orders, and other personal and professional errands for the Co-CEOs
· Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: We are seeking candidates with:
· Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail and deadlines
· The ability to work flexibly and independently in a fast-paced environment; comfortable adapting to change
· The ability to take, integrate, and rapidly adapt to feedback
· Strong problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude; up for new challenges
· Strong professional communication skills and the ability to work well with others
· A deep commitment to closing the achievement gap
· Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010 (or later) software, especially Word and Excel; fluency with a variety of online and technology systems
· Bachelor’s Degree, preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This position offers competitive compensation, a flexible work environment, employer-paid health and dental insurance, employer-paid short and long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, a 403b retirement plan, and paid vacation.
This position may require out-of-town travel of approximately 5-10 nights per year for trainings, staff events, and conferences as well as travel within the DC region to complete duties and tasks. Performance of duties may require occasional evening or weekend work as well as being available to the Co-CEOs outside of regular working hours from time to time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references with contact information via e-mail to email@example.com (ATTN: Special Assistant).
The Literacy Lab is an equal opportunity employer. The Literacy Lab’s policy is to provide equal opportunity at all times without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental disability, medication, or status as a veteran.