The Literacy Lab’s mission is to provide low-income children with individualized reading instruction to improve their literacy skills, leading to greater success in school and increased opportunities in life. Our rigorously trained, full-time tutors work at high-need schools, providing daily, evidence-based interventions to students age 3 – grade 3. During the 2018-19 school year, over 300 tutors will serve in 100+ schools, impacting over 6,000 students across our 6 metro areas.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At minimum, a tutor must:
- Serve 20-25 hours/week; including:
- Normal school staff hours (e.g. M-F, 8AM- 5PM; varies by school)
- Required professional developments; trainings; community service, etc. (occasional late afternoons/early evening hours)
- Commit through the end of the program year (usually July 2019)
- Seize additional opportunities to serve your school and community (e.g. volunteering at a local library or food bank one evening/week, etc.)
- Implement ongoing feedback through regular observations by your coaches
- Adhere to a data-driven, scripted tutoring program
At minimum, all applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalency
- Have served no more than 3 previous AmeriCorps terms
- Be a US citizen, national, or permanent resident legal alien
Unfortunately, potential applicants with DACA status are not eligible at this time.
Candidates MUST NOT be registered, or be required to register, on any sex offender registry.
BENEFITS YOU’LL RECEIVE
Over the course of their service term, tutors receive:
- A modest living allowance (Springfield/ Holyoke: $700/ month before taxes)
- An AmeriCorps Education Award of approximately $2,200 for 900-hour members
- Federal student loan forbearance
- SNAP assistance (if eligible)
- Training and coaching in effective, evidence-based strategies from literacy experts and school-based staff
- Access national Literacy Lab and AmeriCorps networks
- Have a foot-in-the door with local school systems
The Literacy Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request. Required physical/sensory job functions are provided upon request.
Explore our Year at a Glance position and program overview: https://goo.gl/xmR2n2
Minimum Education Required