641 S Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Democrats for Education Reform-DC (DFER-DC) seeks a Program Manager to lead critical, high-level projects in the areas of communications, external and donor relations, and government affairs to advance the organization’s advocacy priorities. This role is ideal for someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial, flexible, and occasionally high-intensity environment.
ABOUT DEMOCRATS FOR EDUCATION REFORM
Democrats for Education Reform was founded in 2007 by a group of activists and entrepreneurs in order to address the persistent and growing achievement gap in America’s public schools, as well as the social, cultural, and economic crises that education inequality perpetuates. The new DFER-DC branch launched in January 2015 with the goal of continuing, and accelerating, the reforms that have
made Washington, D.C. one of the fastest improving urban school districts in the nation.
Given the complex and local nature of education reform, DFER’s approach is designed to work at multiple levels, including policy analysis, public engagement, electoral and issue advocacy, and targeted outreach in order to unite the local community and elected officials in their vision for reform. DFER works to elect, educate, and empower elected officials to advocate for substantive reform,
ultimately shaping education policy. In addition, DFER raises public awareness so that constituents can hold their leaders accountable for creating tangible change in DC schools.
● Develop and implement digital media strategy to engage DC audiences and advance policy goals: draft and send email campaigns, run social media campaigns, and develop and execute paid digital ad strategy
● Manage lists to keep distinct audiences engaged with meaningful, relevant content
● Create and circulate digital petitions
● Draft press releases and statements on relevant policy and political issues as they arise
● Manage social media handles on behalf of DFER DC and affiliated entities
Event Planning (20%)
● Work with the DC Director to develop an events strategy to engage local stakeholders
● Manage planning, logistics, outreach, and communication for all events
● Work with coalition members and partners to plan and execute joint events
Policy Analysis and Government Relations (30%)
● Monitor policy changes and proposals in the DC Council and Mayor’s office as well as education news and key issues in all eight wards of the District
● Establish and cultivate working relationships with key staff members at relevant government agencies, e.g. provide briefing materials, analyze legislation, and make connections with key constituents
● Draft blog posts and op-eds; prepare research briefs for external parties, e.g. government officials
Special Projects (10%)
● Provide ongoing development/fundraising support to the DC Director, e.g. drafting grant proposals and assisting with donor communications
● Act as a “jack of all trades” with deep knowledge of the organization’s programs and priorities who can serve as a proxy for the DC Director in both internal and external meetings
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Democrats for Education Reform seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of the District’s public schools.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits
package is included.
Level of Language Proficiency
● Bachelor’s degree required
● 1-2 years experience managing digital communications (in an advocacy or electoral environment is a plus but not required)
● 2+ years experience in education policy or teaching preferred
● Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
● Ability to operate autonomously to manage projects and solve problems
● Strong research and analysis skills
● Track record of successful project management
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with gov’t officials & their staff
● Willingness to be flexible in an entrepreneurial and intense work environment
● Passion for DFER’s mission and vision
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Email Mira Taichman at email@example.com with a resume and cover letter explaining why you are an ideal
candidate for this position. A limited number of candidates will be scheduled for phone interviews.