Full Time Temporary
Details: 20,000 Rupees per month plus roundtrip airfare, room and board
The Shanti Bhavan Children's Project is looking for a highly-motivated and passionate individual to fill an opening for the Teaching Fellow position to oversee our volunteer teacher program and carry out mentoring, professional development, and curriculum building duties at Shanti Bhavan, our English-medium progressive boarding school in rural India. The Teaching Fellow will work with the local Indian and US team in order to support resident volunteers in their teaching duties and build a robust teaching program for the betterment of Shanti Bhavan students.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTION
Shanti Bhavan has been in existence for 21 years and has been profiled in The New York Times, the Charlie Rose Show,Thomas Friedman'sThe World is Flat ,the Discovery Channel, ABCNews and Glamour Magazine’s“ Get Schooled” series.In2017,the four part Netflix Original Documentary series, Daughters of Destiny, featured Shanti Bhavan.
Shanti Bhavan serves children of the lowest caste - all of the children in the program hail from socio-economically depressed areas of rural India, mostly from the "Untouchable" or "Dalit" communities. The mission of Shanti Bhavan is to empower children from India’s lowest socioeconomic class to break the cycle of generational poverty through education, leadership, and compassion. They are given a full scholarship, room and board while they attend the school. Shanti Bhavan means “haven of peace” and the school truly is a “haven” for students aging from pre-K-12th grade. They are provided with a world-class education in a safe and nurturing environment.
This position is from July 15th until mid-December 2018, with the possibility of extending until April 2019.
Applicants should possess the following:
● A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, Master’s in Education preferred.
● Minimum 3 years teaching experience.
● Professional written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to observe and provide feedback to volunteer teachers with a wide variety of teaching experience.
● Exceptional mentorship skills to support volunteer teachers with individualized meetings and goals for growth, both in lesson planning and behavior management
● Capacity to serve as a supportive and professional mentor to children.
● Ability to communicate effectively with local staff, ensuring that teaching practices and curricula are aligned across subjects and grade levels, consistent with Indian Standardized
● Oversee the development of class materials, maintain an archive of past materials, and systematize access to curriculum change over time.
● Lead weekly professional development sessions to promote a robust and joyful teaching culture.
● Detail-oriented and focused
● Flexible, and able to adapt to changing situations and expectations and relay those adjustments to other team members
● Superior ability to handle stress and set boundaries both personally and professionally
● Ability to maintain a highly motivated, persevering, and achievement-oriented attitude
● Ability to work under minimal supervision while remaining abreast of the vision of the school
● Competency with Microsoft Office, Google Docs and other office software / tools
● All expenses are paid for, including roundtrip airfare/transportation, room and board on campus, visa fees.
● The position includes a salary equivalent to Indian local standards.
● Not only is this an opportunity to travel and be fully immersed in a wonderful and vibrant culture, it is a rare opportunity to make a personal contribution to better the lives of students who would have the opportunity to uplift their families from poverty
Level of Language Proficiency
All work at Shanti Bhavan is conducted in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org