Details: Commensurate with experience
Location: Maplewood, New Jersey
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Maplewood, N.J, that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited and we are guided by a goal to treat two million depressed African women by the end of 2025.
Since commencing field work in Uganda in 2014, StrongMinds has treated over 35,000 women with depression. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are partnered with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) following our selection in the MIT Solve Global Challenge for Brain Health. We have received numerous fellowships including from the Cordes Foundation, Rainer Arnhold Fellows and SOCAP. UK organization Founder’s Pledge has described StrongMinds as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world. We are also proud to be a founding partner of citiesRISE, the new global mental health movement.
Position: Development Analyst
We are hiring the first Development Analyst to join our small, results-oriented fundraising / business development team focused on fueling our rapid scale up. The Development Analyst will report to the Development Manager/Director of Development (under recruitment as our current Development Manager is leaving our team for personal reasons) and partner closely with all members of the StrongMinds team. The successful applicant will provide crucial administrative, research and fundraising support to the Development Manager/Director of Development and to the Executive Director.
This exciting role is integral to StrongMinds’ ambitious growth trajectory as we dramatically scale our program. Specifically, the Development Analyst, in concert with the Development Manager/Director of Development, will pursue opportunities to raise $6+ million over the next three years by executing important administrative functions, undertaking targeted research of prospective philanthropic partners and by contributing to creative strategies to steward new and existing individual and foundation donors. This is an exciting opportunity to gain entry into and develop a growing social impact career with an international development focus. The right candidate will have opportunities to stretch their skills and build their experience through additional responsibilities and strategic projects ask the organization grows.
· Undertake research to identify prospective funding partners including private foundations, high-net worth individuals, corporations and government (bilateral) grant opportunities and provide synthesized prospect summary documents.
· Use LinkedIn and other online development tools to research potential connections/ warm leads.
· Compile data and reports that will allow StrongMinds to build a pipeline of future funding partners.
· Draft/edit reports and concept notes/proposals for existing and prospective funding partners.
· Support and participate in processes that will further strengthen StrongMinds’ existing fundraising practices including entering data into StrongMinds’ CRM, managing donor acknowledgment correspondence, and end-of-year fundraising appeal, etc.
· Ensure key deadlines are clearly documented in team calendars to ensure timely submission of deliverables to funding partners.
· Interact with StrongMinds staff, funding partners and other key stakeholders to execute the Development team’s activities, programs and events.
· Provide administrative support to the Executive Director and Development Director/Manager (20% of time). This includes: managing travel logistics; assistance coordinating calendar; ensuring he is prepared for all meetings & trips with agendas, bios/background data, ghostwriting email responses, etc.
· Undertake special projects within the Development Department, such as assisting with fundraising events and business development opportunities, as needed.
· Undertake other relevant tasks as required in a dynamic, start-up environment.
The role involves significant growth potential with future opportunities to oversee a CRM database and to lead prospect research/reviews and meetings for a high-caliber candidate.
· Bachelor’s degree
Skills, Abilities & Experience Required:
In addition to the responsibilities and the required Education, there are a number of skills, abilities and experience that the successful candidate will possess:
· Strong interest in non-profits, social entrepreneurship, international development and/or mental health.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to synthesize important information efficiently and effectively.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Database experience is a huge plus.
· Willingness to learn and take on multiple assignments in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
· Excellent time management and prioritization skills without compromising on quality.
· Strong MS Office skills.
· Ideally 1-3 years of professional experience (negotiable for an exceptional candidate).
· Dedicated to and passionate about the mission of StrongMinds.
· Experience in mental health or global health a bonus.
· World-class sense of humor.
· Humility and an eager desire to learn, roll up your sleeves, and contribute to an incredible mission.
Location and Travel
· This position is based in the Maplewood, NJ offices of StrongMinds – 30-40 minute train ride from Penn Station, New York. Some flexibility in work arrangements will be accommodated for an exceptional candidate.
On/about November 12, 2018
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required