The Center for Biological Diversity, a national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of imperiled plants, animals and wild places, seeks an experienced attorney to advocate for the conservation of endangered species utilizing administrative and legal tools. The position will involve using applicable laws, including the Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Administrative Procedures Act and others, to protect endangered species from the many threats they face. This will require a dynamic, dedicated individual with a background in law, advocacy and biology.
- Expand the Center's work to protect endangered species
- Identify and carry out opportunities to protect endangered species from habitat destruction, pollution, exploitation and other threats through litigation and other advocacy
- Mentor new program attorneys
- Develop detailed knowledge of the status of endangered species across the country
- Build relationships with key scientists
- Utilize litigation and media campaigns to highlight the threats to imperiled wildlife
- Advocate for comprehensive protection of endangered species as a response to litigation and other pressure
Essential qualities, qualifications, and skills desired:
- At least eight years experience as an environmental attorney
- Experience litigating under the Endangered Species Act
- Experience working with young attorneys
- Knowledge of the status, biology of, and threats to endangered species
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Background in leading litigation projects and working collaboratively with peers
- Dynamic and assertive personality
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including:
- Employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match.
- Relaxed work atmosphere
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and 3-5 references with your application. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.