The Communications Coordinator is responsible for implementing the Foundation’s marketing and communications plan and initiatives and has day-to-day responsibilities for managing all communications channels including social media, outbound emails, print/digital materials, video content and the Foundation’s website.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Director of Communications and Operations and provides staff support to the Executive Director, the Patient Services Director, and Foundation committees. This role has primary responsibility for:
- Writing: Brainstorming topics, identifying interview subjects, interviewing, researching information, and writing clear and interesting stories for the mesothelioma community that also maximizes SEO.
- Social Media Channel Management: Creating, scheduling, and deploying relevant content across all channels, developing reporting metrics and engagement improvement tactics, engaging with patients, families, caregivers, and bereaved members of the Cure Meso community.
- Email Communications: Managing all outbound email communications using Salsa Engage, tracking and reporting on metrics, working with partners and projects to create engaging emails.
- Print/Digital Materials Development: Facilitating the design and layout of all Foundation publications including newsletters, fundraising materials, educational publications, and other related content. Working with vendors and partners to print and distribute content as requested.
- Video Creation/Editing: Schedule, coordinate and edit all Foundation videos including adding simple graphics in a timely manner, working with outside partners to record intro videos, support colleagues in scheduling educational video recordings for distribution.
- Website: Develop and manage the website and blog content, work with colleagues, affiliated experts, outside vendor and stakeholders to refresh and update website to improve navigation, mobile responsiveness, and performance. Provide regular reports on website metrics.
- SEO: For each piece of web content, implement SEO best practices within the text, images, and through the Foundation’s SEO backend tools – manage organization’s keywords and finetune all content based on performance.
- Events: Work collaboratively with the Cure Meso team, volunteers and community to staff and support all events including virtual, hybrid and in-person events.
Qualifications (Experience and Education)
- 3 – 5 years working in nonprofit communications and/or related field such as public relations, development, or program management
- Proficient with social media management, email development, layout/design, and video editing.
- Strong writing skills with some experience translating medical information for a lay audience.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and/or coordinating patient education materials
- Proficient in MS Office, the Adobe Suite, SalsaCRM/Engage
- Experience in organizing and staffing conferences
- BA/BS in communications, marketing, public relations or related major
- Washington DC based candidate who can travel to the office 1 – 2 days per week
- Strong interest and skills in working with a small team of dedicated nonprofit professionals with compassion and integrity.
- Experience in navigating difficult topics with clarity and accuracy.
- Able to develop relationships with patients, healthcare providers, and other partners to advance the goals of the Foundation.
- Patient-focused, detail-oriented approach to delivering programs and services.
- Salary Range: $50,000 – $65,000 depending on qualifications/experience
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Job Location: Hybrid
- The Foundation currently maintains a Washington D.C. office
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, retirement
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
We will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination (including booster shots as advised by qualified healthcare providers) for all employees at the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation. We also require that employees follow the Washington D.C. masking and social distancing requirements, even if their place of work is not located in the region. We are committed to keeping our patients, their families, and caregivers safe from this virus and any future variants and mutations.
About the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation (Meso Foundation) is the nonprofit collaboration of patients and families, physicians, advocates, and researchers dedicated to eradicating the life-ending and vicious effects of mesothelioma. From our office in Washington, DC, the Foundation’s staff works nationally and globally to accomplish this mission. We offer medical information, hope and support to mesothelioma patients and families, fund the highest quality and most promising research projects from around the world, raise awareness of the disease, and advocate that the public and private sectors partner in the effort to cure it.