135 North Mission Road
The Wellness Associate will support coordination and implementation of a Wellness Initiative which aims to improve access to wellness for Boyle Heights residents.Through the Wellness Initiative, the Wellness Associate will support in increasing residents’ awareness of health and wellness services, and helping residents connect to and navigate health services. The Associate will also support in expanding the reach and content of our annual Wellness Series, support in launching a Wellness Promotora Network, and support in planning, partnership-building, and outreach to community to prepare for the opening of the new school-based Wellness Center at Mendez HS. The Wellness Associate will support in building partnerships with wellness providers and work in close coordination and communication with the Senior Coordinator for Wellness, community reps at the schools, wellness partners, and other parent leaders (e.g. outreach specialists).
The Wellness Associate will be responsible for:
- Building and maintaining working relationships with a wide-range of partners. These include residents, youth, schools, local organizations and public/private institutional leaders;
- Working closely with the Senior Program Coordinator to facilitate meetings, strategize, and assist in preparation of meeting agendas, flyers, letters, and other materials;
- Implementing outreach strategies to recruit, sustain and actively involve residents in Promesa Boyle Heights initiatives and to connect them to services, resources, and campaigns of our partner organizations;
- Helping implement training curriculum and tools to build leadership of individuals and our collective capacity to participate and lead campaigns and initiatives that expand access and opportunity to wellness resources;
- Working with organizations and schools to coordinate and implement a Wellness Series that brings cohesion and access to a wide-range of wellness resources, including physical and mental health services, financial empowerment, legal services, and broad prevention and support services such as family communication, LGBTQ supports;
- Building and maintaining relationships with General Assembly, Steering Committee, and other Promesa BH Solution Teams;
- Attending Wellness related events, such as meetings, conferences with coalitions, alliances, and school district meetings;
- Helping design and implement quantitative and qualitative evaluation and reporting tools;
The Wellness Associate will support in:
- Reaching 150 students, parents, and residents through the Wellness series
- Lay groundwork to be able to reach 2,250 residents through a Promotores Network of 20 promotores by end of grant period (June 2020)
- Engage 20 residents and 15 partners in planning for the opening and long term success of the Wellness Center at Mendez High School
- Reach 500 residents though community outreach communications and events focused on community health issues, resources, and promotion of the Wellness Center
- A minimum of 1 year of community organizing experience. Knowledge of collective-impact models, community-school approaches, and promotores models;
- Must be computer literate and have experience working with databases, word processing programs, spreadsheets, internet research programs, and online calendars and cloud systems;
- Strong leadership abilities including an encouraging, motivating presence to help with conflict management, team building, goal-setting, prioritization and strategic planning;
- Experience working in nonprofits, and/or Boyle Heights lived experience is a BIG plus;
- Must speak Spanish fluently and possess basic Spanish-writing abilities.
- **Must be a licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements.
- Commitment to social justice and community empowerment.
- Experience managing dynamic projects and event planning.
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends.
- Interested in someone that can start immediately.
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive company information.
- Ability to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions, and to handle difficult or confrontational situations in a calm and consistent manner.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit, talk, hear, and type- at times for extended periods of time. The employee will also occasionally be required to stand, walk, and drive. The employee will occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Promesa Boyle Heights is a passionate collaborative of residents, youth, schools, local organizations and public/private institutions working together to realize a vision where: 1) every child has an opportunity to learn, grow and succeed from cradle through college and career; 2) families can live a stable, healthy and fulfilling life; and 3) every individual is empowered to act and create a more just and interdependent community. For more information, visit: www.promesaboyleheights.org
Work Environment: Promesa is a community-led, progressive, and innovative collaborative in Boyle Heights. The Promesa BH staff strives to maintain a high degree of trust, team spirit, and energy while working to build community power and capacity. While employed by Proyecto Pastoral, the CS Manager works closely and is also accountable to the Promesa Boyle Heights General Assembly and Steering Committee and the partner schools.
Proyecto Pastoral is a founding Steering Committee member and the backbone organization for the Promesa Boyle Heights collaborative. Proyecto Pastoral at Dolores Mission was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. It has grown into a highly effective community - building organization. Proyecto Pastoral is committed to involving local community members in the planning, design and implementation of its programs. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 2,500 children, youth and families annually through its five programs. For more information, visit: www.proyectopastoral.org.
**Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQIA and people of color are encouraged to apply. Spanish-speaking ability, experience working in nonprofits, and/or Boyle Heights lived experience is a BIG plus.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must speak Spanish fluently and possess basic Spanish-writing abilities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter and a list of at least 3 references to Promesajobs@proyectopastoral.org with subject line: Wellness Associate. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. We encourage interested applicants to submit as soon as possible since we are aiming for the first round of interviews to begin on September 14th