The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation seeks a highly motivated and well-organized individual with a minimum of 3-4 years of work experience to join its national grantmaking programs as a Program Associate for Science and the Arts, based in our offices at Rockefeller Center in New York City.
JOB TITLE: Program Associate for Science and the Arts
STATUS: Full Time
The Program Associate for Science and the Arts reports to the Vice President, Programs, who directs the Public Understanding of Science, Technology, and Economics and the Universal Access to Knowledge programs. This position supports all aspects of these programs, with an emphasis on the Public Understanding program, and has significant responsibility in the development, analysis, and evaluation of proposals, grants, and activities in both programs. As part of a small, self-directed, and high-performing team, the Associate is the “right hand” of the VP and ensures that the programs run effectively and efficiently.
This role provides first-class training, access to prominent leaders and institutions, and exposure to new initiatives in science and the arts across diverse forms of media and technology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES
This position has multiple areas of responsibility.
Proposal and Grants Management:
· Collaborate closely with the VP to review all incoming letters of inquiry and proposals
· Create timeline for each proposal cycle based on internal deadlines and keep all proposal processes on track to meet deadlines
· Manage proposal review process, including selecting and reaching out to potential reviewers, providing guidance, and honoraria payments
· Attend weekly staff meetings and follow up with VP on relevant action items
· Work with grants administration team as needed to resolve issues as they arise
· Draft staff and board memos for all proposals
· Review all grant reports and track grant payments
· Communicate with grantees about reporting deadlines, upcoming events, grant progress, etc.
· Collaborate with VP to create and track grants budget
· Assist VP in managing correspondence, internal deadlines, preparing materials (memos, board materials, PowerPoint presentations, etc.)
· Assist VP with travel logistics (booking hotel or travel, creating itineraries, obtaining conference agendas)
· Schedule meetings for VP and ensure his calendar is up-to-date
· Arrange all on-site meeting logistics for VP including catering and IT needs
· Collaborate with VP to prepare and track program and travel budgets
· Write content for and monitor all program-specific social media channels
· Assist VP in reviewing press releases and grantee marketing materials
· Monitor the web for grantee news
· In close consultation with VP, prepare triannual program updates and email newsletter
· Work with communications staff and VP to keep website pages up-to-date
· Liaise with PR consultants
External Events and Travel:
· Regularly attend Sloan-supported events outside of work hours, such as plays, readings, film screenings, panel discussions, and exhibitions (1-3 events per month)
· Occasional travel to conferences and film festivals (2-3 trips per year)
· Coordinate with grantee partners on all event logistics
· Track news and developments in relevant areas (film, podcasting, television, libraries, etc.) and keep VP apprised of updates and trends
· Be a collegial and engaged member of the 35-person Sloan staff
· The successful candidate works well under deadlines and is an intelligent and disciplined self-starter with outstanding organizational skills and a detail orientation.
· A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in liberal arts, the sciences, or other related field, and 3-4 years of work experience is required.
· Experience in film, theater, the arts and/or the sciences preferred. A multidisciplinary background is helpful but not required.
· Rigorous thinking and an energetic, proactive approach are essential.
· Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are necessary.
· Computer skills including proficiency in including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Acrobat. Knowledge of MailChimp, Photoshop, and/or InDesign helpful.
· Facility with social media channels is required, including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Professional experience with these channels a plus.
· Ability to independently learn new applications, including the FLUXX grants management database. Experience with databases is a plus.
· Self-motivation and self-confidence to work on projects with minimal supervision
· Ability to work with colleagues and grantees of different backgrounds, ages, and experience
· Ability to thrive in a quiet, self-directed office environment
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
While the Sloan offices are currently closed due to the pandemic and work is being done remotely, staff will be required to return to in-person work in New York in the fall.
The Foundation maintains an emphatic commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in its grant programs and among its staff. Applications from underrepresented persons of color are especially encouraged.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit a personalized cover letter and resume via email to HR@sloan.org with “LAST NAME – Program Associate for Science and the Arts” in the subject line.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is a not-for-profit, mission-driven grantmaking institution dedicated to improving the welfare of all through the advancement of scientific knowledge. Established in 1934 by Alfred Pritchard Sloan Jr., then-President and Chief Executive Officer of the General Motors Corporation, the Foundation makes grants in four broad areas: direct support of research in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and economics; initiatives to increase the quality, equity, diversity, and inclusiveness of scientific institutions and the science workforce; projects to develop or leverage technology to empower research; and efforts to enhance and deepen public engagement with science and scientists.
sloan.org | @SloanFoundation
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation seeks a highly motivated and well-organized individual with a minimum of 3-4 years of work experience to join its national grantmaking programs as a Program Associate for Science and the Arts, based in our…