170 Central Park West
REPORTS TO: Director of Collections Management
The Associate Registrar for Exhibitions manages all registraral tasks related to changing exhibitions, including traveling exhibitions and incoming loans to the museum. The Associate Registrar is a member of a ten-person department, including registrars, art handlers, and a database manager, and works closely with curators, conservators, and exhibition designers.
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The museum presents more than twenty large and small on-site exhibitions each year drawn from N-YHS’s permanent collection of over 70,000 artworks, decorative art objects, historical artifacts, library objects, and ephemera, as well as loans from museums, galleries, and private collections across the county. N-YHS also organizes and circulates traveling exhibitions throughout the US and occasionally abroad.
- Preparation of loan agreements and facilities reports for incoming loans. Review of loan agreements and lender requirements, and follow up with lenders, as needed.
- Data entry and management of TMS records for exhibitions, loans, and lenders.
- Scheduling and management of packing, crating, and shipping for exhibition loans and traveling exhibitions. Arranging for packing and shipping of N-YHS exhibition objects from and to off-site storage.
- Coordination of fine arts insurance, arranging for certificates of insurance, and, if needed, preparation of applications for US government indemnification.
- In consultation with curators and conservators, arranging for conservation of exhibition objects.
- In consultation with curators, conservators, and exhibition designers, arranging for mount making, matting, and framing of exhibition loans.
- Preparation of condition reports for all incoming and outgoing loans. Monitoring of the condition of exhibition objects while on view and in storage.
- Arranging for travel, lodging, and per diem for exhibition couriers, and supervision of couriers while on site. Serving as courier for traveling exhibitions and outgoing loans.
- Collaborating with art handlers, curators, and exhibition preparation staff on installation and deinstallation of exhibitions.
- Development of exhibition budgets for packing, crating, shipping, insurance, and object preparation for loan exhibitions and traveling exhibitions.
- Assisting with other Collections Department tasks as needed.
EDUCATION: M.A. in museum studies, art history, history, material culture or related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of five years of registraral experience in a museum, including at least three years working with temporary loan exhibitions. Experience with traveling exhibitions preferred.
- Proficiency with TMS (The Museum System) collection management software
- Comprehensive knowledge of current registration methods.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Experience with handling both art collections and collections of material culture preferred.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple tasks and shifting priorities and work productively in a fast paced environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some standing, lifting (up to 50 lbs.) and stooping are required.
Full benefits package included.
Minimum Education Required