111 E. Wacker Dr
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
Summary & Job Description
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice. We are expanding the Finance Department by adding an Accounting Manager to address many accounting activities including financial reporting and review, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities.
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and reports.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure;
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department, particularly in Accounts Payable and Payroll areas;
- Prepare and record monthly Journal Entries on a timely basis to ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close;
- Assist the Director of Finance in the daily banking requirements and monthly balancing/reconciliations;
- Monitor and summarize investment activity and results;
- Record cash activity in the General Ledger, including importing detailed transactions;
- Oversee fixed asset activity and compute depreciation and amortization; maintain inventory records of property owned in all Local 1 office locations;
- Prepare and file PAC and lobbyist reports in various jurisdictions; monitor requirements and assure that all are met on a timely basis;
- Analyze critical General Ledger accounts and make required adjustments;
- Collect and provide information for the annual audit and provide assistance to the auditors;
- Avoid legal challenges or outside audits (by the DOL or IRS, for example) by understanding current and proposed regulations and establishing proper systems and procedures;
- Participate in the implementation of a new accounting system;
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures relating to financial management, budget and accounting;
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office, Google, accounting software and databases;
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data;
- Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to direct and supervise, as well as collaborate;
- Ability to manage confidential and sensitive information discreetly;
- Commitment to social justice and ability to promote an atmosphere of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance and experience that is relevant to the responsibilities enumerated above.
- Experience in a Union environment is advantageous.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience;
- Full benefits package including health insurance, pension plan, paid vacation, tuition reimbursement, and other benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Submit your resume and cover letter at http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigcy910z