130 East 59 Street
About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For 100 years, we have inspired New Yorkers to act on their values and invest in their community for the biggest impact. Thanks to our network of nearly 100 beneficiary agencies, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to deliver real solutions to real problems. Through a single gift, you can care for New Yorkers of all backgrounds and for Jews everywhere; connect people to their Jewish identity, and respond to crises around the world.
The Sr. Financial Analyst provides financial oversight of UJA-Federation’s network agencies (over 50 agencies with budgets totaling over $1.1 billion) and plays a key role in UJA-Federation’s efforts to assist agencies that are experiencing financial challenges.
The position requires a strong knowledge of financial analysis and budgeting, the ability to work well with staff at both UJA-Federation and our agencies, and the ability to manage several important tasks simultaneously.
The position reports to UJA-Federation’s Director of Agency Oversight.
- Financial condition assessment modeling of UJA-Federation’s beneficiary organizations that receive unrestricted grants. In addition, this individual must be able to analyze and summarize findings and determine appropriate next steps together with the Director of Agency Financial Oversight.
- Review financial information from agencies (audited financial statements, management letter, Form 990, budget vs. actual reports, fiscal narrative, etc.).
- Develop and implement appropriate analytical tools.
- Management of team members and ownership of tasks and ad-hoc projects.
- Analyze each agency’s financial and business condition and prospects.
- Identify agencies facing fiscal challenges – cash flow; budgeting process; structural imbalance; debt and other balance sheet issues; financial reporting; weak financial management – and develop solutions and propose appropriate UJA-Federation actions:
- Conduct intensive fieldwork at agencies.
- Develop strong working relationships with agencies’ managements.
- Work closely with UJA-Federation’s chief financial officer, other senior management, staff of the Network Commission, and the Finance Committee to develop and implement appropriate strategies.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least 5 years of experience in financial analysis and management (work with not-for-profit organizations, particularly those in the human service or community center fields, is a plus).
- Strong knowledge of budgeting and accounting (not-for-profit accounting is a plus).
- Ability to analyze audited financial statements and related materials and probe for hidden issues.
- Excellent computer skills including intermediate or advanced use of spreadsheet and database software.
- Excellent people skills; ability to relate to agency financial managers with a wide range of technical capabilities as well as to agency and UJA-Federation senior management and lay leaders.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking with a creative approach to problem-solving.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF