With 163,000 members SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for the thousands of unorganized service workers.
SEIU 32BJ represents over 80,000 members in the New York Metro area. We currently have an opening for a Grievance Representative to join our Contracts and Grievance Center (CGC) in the Manhattan office.
Our team of Grievance Representatives meet daily with members presenting workplace issues or grievances, answering contract questions and representing each member through a resolution process. Through the process, each Grievance Representative (“GR”) meets with employer representatives, union field representatives, union attorneys and other staff to investigate workplace issues, resolve grievances directly with the employer, or develop cases for arbitration.
The GR is charged with a high level of independent judgment to identify and act proactively on systemic workplace issues that could lead to grievances, and to negotiate the resolution of issues with employers.
The GR must be a persuasive advocate for union members, possess sophisticated and refined problem-solving skills, have the ability to mediate workplace disputes, and possess strong negotiation skills. S/He must be able to manage a large caseload and process grievances within contractually fixed time limits.
- Candidates must demonstrate a clear commitment to social justice, and an interest in representing workers from diverse backgrounds.
- Candidates must have strong listening and communication skills in order to work with diverse members who are presenting workplace issues.
- Strong writing and computer skills (Microsoft, Word and Excel) are required, as the GR is responsible for drafting grievance claims and correspondence, and is required to use 32BJ databases and electronic grievance tracking systems.
- GRs normally work regular business hours, but must have the flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
- Candidates with union representation experience are preferred, but candidates with an interest in workers’ rights and relevant work experience(ex. social work, or paralegal) may be considered.
- Candidates must have high attention to detail and ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Albanian is a plus.
SEIU 32BJ offers a competitive salary based on experience, and an excellent benefits package including employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their qualified dependents.
Minimum Education Required