Full Time Temporary
600 Pennsylvania Avenue Southeast
District of Columbia
National nonprofit organization serving the Latino community seeks a Staff to report to and work collaboratively with the Director of Policy and Legislative Affairs. The Staff Assistant will manage the administrative operations of the NALEO Educational Fund’s Washington, DC office. In addition, the Staff Assistant will assist with the legislative and administrative advocacy and research activities of the office. This position will report directly to the Director of Policy and Legislative Affairs, and collaborate on an Individual Development Plan as part of our internal Professional Development initiative.
- Answer phones; prepare and process incoming/outgoing materials such as correspondence, reports, memoranda, other forms of writing communication
- Monitor use of services, supplies and equipment for the office, and work with organization staff and office vendors to ensure that the office’s supply and equipment needs are met.
- Coordinate office meetings and meetings with policymakers and stakeholders; maintain related databases.
- Monitor and analyze Congressional and administrative developments; write advocacy-related materials.
- Conduct research on legislative, administrative and political developments.
- Further relationships with Congressional and administrative policymakers, coalitions and advocacy organizations working on the NALEO Educational.
- Adhere to attendance and punctuality standards of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills. Editing skills, a plus.
- Outstanding organizational and administrative skills, including ability to interact with staff, media, elected and appointed officials, corporate/business representatives, and the general public;
- Ability to take initiative, handle multiple tasks, and organize and prioritize workload efficiently.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- If a driver, must have a valid driver’s license with proof of automobile insurance coverage.
- Ability to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Supportive of mission and philosophy of the NALEO Educational Fund.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ASPECTS OF THE POSITION
Certain physical and mental aspects of performing the essential functions of the position include the following:
- Ability to detect, discern, recognize, and perceive auditory and visual information within normal ranges;
- Dexterity to read, write, type, operate office equipment such as a computer, printer, telephone, calculator, copier, fax machine, pencils, pens, and stapler;
- Ability to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
Once hired, employees requiring reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of the position should contact Human Resources to engage in the interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations, if any.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Competitive benefits package that includes generous vacation, sick leave, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and retirement coverage.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish fluency, both verbal and written
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Fax/email cover letter and resume to Angela Weimer, National Director of Human Resources and Administration, NALEO Educational Fund (213) email@example.com. EOE