Details: $22-28 per hour; on average 20 hours a week
15303 Westminster Way North
I. General Position Summary
Northwest School for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children (NWSDHH) seeks a part time (0.5
FTE) Facilities Manager. The Facilities Manager position plays an important role in the everyday
operations of Northwest School for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children (NWSDHH). This
position is responsible for maintaining the buildings, vehicles and general property of the school,
and provides support to staff and students on a regular basis. Additionally, this position assists
the Chief Operating Officer in planning and budgeting for facilities needs, and is responsible for
gathering information on pricing and services to be performed.
II. Duties and responsibilities:
Buildings & General Property Maintenance (55%):
• Manage vendor relationships for building maintenance (HVAC, roofing, pest control,
landscaping, electrician, plumbing, etc.) and ensure routine maintenance is being
• Make or schedule repairs and maintenance throughout building as needed.
• Maintain and monitor school grounds to ensure safety for staff and students (pressure
washing, debris collection, check security of fences, etc.).
• Manage running list of all facilities needs requested by staff; staff submit items for
resolution and the Facilities Manager manages, resolves, and communicates status and
results to staff.
• Work in close collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer/Head of School to identify
and get approval for changes to vendor contracts and/or significant upgrades and repairs
to buildings and property.
Van Fleet (35%):
• Manage van fleet routine maintenance and schedule or make repairs as needed.
• Reviews/Performs weekly safety checks on van fleet for staff use.
• Responsible for refueling fleet as needed (every 1-2 weeks).
• Perform monthly van cleanings (wash, vacuum, window cleaning, etc.).
• Manage van fleet tab renewals.
• Advise on upgrades or fixes to vans as needed.
Other Duties (10%):
• Responsible for gathering information for services (bids/proposals) needed and providing
Chief Operating Officer with information for budget planning and needs throughout the
• Attend other meetings, trainings, and duties, as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer
or Head of School.
III. Supervision (degree of supervision needed and positions directly supervised):
This position works independently, requiring little supervision. This position does not directly
supervise any other staff.
IV. Confidentiality (level of exposure the position has to confidential information):
This position does not have direct access to confidential information but is responsible for and
has access to secure buildings and vehicles.
V. Specifications of education, knowledge and skills needed to perform job duties:
- Experience in a school or similar setting providing maintenance, grounds, and vehicle support.
- Experience managing a variety of unanticipated needs along with more routine work.
- Ability to troubleshoot and fix facilities issues to a reasonable level, prior to requiring
assistance from an outside contractor.
- Ability to manage time and prioritize workload effectively.
- Ability to work well with others and facilitate open communication with a team focus.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Environment is one that is susceptible to unanticipated events that arise at any time.
Therefore, flexibility and ability to adapt to these events is necessary.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
VI. Work Schedule
School hours are 8:30am-3:15pm and the school year runs from September to June. This
position will need to be present for all subcontractor work being performed on the premises.
While the work schedule is flexible due to the part-time status, school hours also dictate what
type of work can be done and when during any given day. There is also a variety of facilities
work that is specifically scheduled in the summer months or weekends while school is not in
session. Therefore, there may be more hours worked during specific months, but overall the
position is a .5 FTE for the full year (average 20 hours per week).
Range depending upon experience and skills ($22.00-$28.00 per hour).
Minimum Education Required