United Hospital Fund, whose mission is to build a more effective health care system for every New Yorker, is looking for an experienced, hands-on Controller with superb accounting and budgeting skills to direct the accounting, budgeting, reporting, and tax work for UHF. S/he will have overall responsibility for directing the accounting activities of the organization including banking, cash management, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, grant reporting, tax returns and annual audit. In addition, the Controller will play a significant role in budgeting, financial system development, and internal and external reporting. This role also includes staff management responsibility. S/he will report and work closely with the Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Direct all accounting activities for the organization, including: cash management; manage positive pay process; maintain general ledger, prepare journal entries, oversee accounts payable and receivable and produce periodic financial reports. Ensure that all bank and investment account reconciliations are conducted in a timely manner and that all accounts are routinely in good order
2. Supervise payroll function
3. Prepare all tax returns on time, including 990, 990-T with investment related filings, CHAR500 and CT-13.
4. Monitor cash flows to maintain fluid cash positions; prepare grant spending reports
5. Implement process improvements and best practices to strengthen internal controls.
PEOPLE AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
1. Manage a team of accounting staff
2. In conjunction with the Senior Vice President, draft the operating budget as a component of UHF’s full annual budget. Provide budgets and expenditures reports to program as needed
3. Prepare/draft semi-annual Financial Statements for the Board of Directors including reconciliation of actual to budget for the period with detailed explanations
4. Prepare for the Annual Audit of UHF. Provide information to external auditors and prepare exhibits, schedules, and documentation as needed
5. In conjunction with the Senior Vice President, develop and redesign the chart of accounts to improve accounting system functionality
6. Prepare financial reports for management and program funders
Minimum Education and/or Experience Required:
1. Eight to ten years of progressively responsible experience in accounting including robust experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) required.
2. Three to five years manager/supervisor experience required.
3. Prior experience working in a private foundation or public charity required
4. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or other relevant discipline required
5. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) credential preferred
Knowledge and Ability:
1. People management experience, with the ability to lead, inspire, and motivate individuals and teams to achieve ambitious outcomes, coaching staff while also holding team members accountable for meeting goals.
2. Experience training and mentoring staff on accounting principles
3. Robust knowledge of and experience with major accounting software packages – Blackbaud Financial Edge preferred - and Microsoft Office Suite products
4. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships and influence others
5. Detail orientation and superb organizational skills coupled with strong analytical and critical problem-solving skills
6. Ability to work independently with minimal upfront guidance and as part of a collaborative team, taking on new tasks with a high level of complexity
7. Capacity to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
8. Extensive knowledge of nonprofit financial accounting and reporting requirements
9. Strong commitment to business ethics and integrity, and ability to exercise internal controls and accuracy.
United Hospital Fund offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience combined with generous benefits, including health, dental, voluntary vision, life, and disability insurance; a tax-deferred annuity savings plan; paid time off; a commuting subsidy; collegial environment.
Applicants can apply for the Controller position by visiting our career page https://uhfnyc.org/about/careers/
· Cover letter detailing specific qualifications
· Salary requirements
Please refrain from emailing and/or calling staff at UHF. All applicants must apply through our career center to be considered.
United Hospital Fund of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations and marital status.
United Hospital Fund, whose mission is to build a more effective health care system for every New Yorker, is looking for an experienced, hands-on Controller with superb accounting and budgeting skills to direct the accounting, budgeting…