Details: Compensation based on comparative levels in the Bay Area in the nonprofit sector.
870 Market Street
Job Title: Membership Manager
Reports to: CEO
Classification: Full time, Exempt (40 hours per week)
Location: San Francisco, CA (Our office is located in the historic Flood Building, steps away from Powell Street BART)
CalNonprofits is the "chamber of commerce" for California’s nonprofit community. We are a growing statewide policy coalition with more than 10,000 members. In addition to San Francisco, we have offices in Los Angeles, Sacramento and Capitola. We are active in various nonprofit policy related issues as well as our educational and advocacy programs that benefit nonprofits, their employees, and the communities they work in, and include the Nonprofit Student Debt Project, research work, the Nonprofit Overhead Project, and more. Under the leadership of our CEO, Jan Masaoka, we are an innovative, and responsive alliance with a focus on advocacy and education.
This person will interact with and serve a wide variety of nonprofit staff and volunteers as the focal point for CalNonprofits members. They will have the opportunity to work with nonprofits from all subsectors and geographies, and to learn about policy and the “business” of running a nonprofit organization.
The Membership Manager is responsible for coordination, execution, and administration of the recruitment, retention and engagement of members. Within the context of organizational mission, goals, values and other programs, the Membership Manager is responsible for meeting membership goals, communicating with our audiences, and engaging members and others in the organization's work. This position is often the first point of contact for our members, so an entrepreneurial attitude and love of working with nonprofit staff is a necessity.
- Develop membership strategies and goals in collaboration with senior staff.
- Provide outstanding constituent service and warm connections for members and prospective members.
- Outreach: attend key member outreach opportunities/events (e.g. exhibitor tabling) and collaborate on webinars; find opportunities for making presentations on the programs, services and benefits of CalNonprofits.
- Increase and strengthen membership benefits by recruiting and collaborating with member benefit vendors and organizing member benefit webinars.
- Collaborate on communications pieces and vehicles to support CalNonprofits membership programs.
- Educate and involve all staff in member recruitment and retention, in understanding effective membership activities, and in the central roles that membership and members play in our strategic goals.
- Work with administrative support staff to ensure that membership database is kept current and dues collected on time, to meet revenue and retention goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an outgoing and open personal style.
- Three or more years’ experience working in membership or customer service role in a nonprofit organization, or trade association.
- Intermediate level skill with MS Office including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and experience working with database(s).
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Self-starter and experience managing multiple projects at once.
- Willingness to “pitch in” when and where needed.
- Experience with a variety of nonprofit organizations as staff or volunteer and deep appreciation of the diversity of the nonprofit sector in California.
- Experience with event production is helpful.
- Experience using Apple products/systems is helpful.
- Experience working with staff members in different locations is helpful.
Ability to do occasional travel in California
Valid driver's license and access to a car to drive for work, or ability to drive rental car
Full time employees are eligible for employer-paid health insurance, dental, vision, and life insurance, and, after two years, an employer-matched 403b retirement plan. CalNonprofits is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualified employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume explaining why you are a good match for the organization and this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Please put your full name and “Membership Manager” in the subject line.
CalNonprofits is committed to a diverse staff and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer. CalNonprofits does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs.