About the Foundation
Brooklyn Community Foundation is the first and only public foundation solely dedicated to New York City’s largest borough. We are on a mission to spark lasting social change, mobilizing people, capital, and expertise for a fair and just Brooklyn. Since our founding in 2009, Brooklyn Community Foundation has provided over $60 million in grants to more than 300 nonprofits through our Community Fund and Donor Advised Fund program. The Foundation is committed to racial justice and to challenging systemic racism through all aspects of our grant-making, advocacy, operations, and governance. Visit www.BrooklynCommunityFoundation.org for more information.
The Foundation Assistant provides comprehensive support to senior leadership and staff, while maintaining daily office functions. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone early in their career to gain insight into all aspects of community philanthropy and foundation operations—particularly at an exciting time in the Foundation’s growth and development.
This is a full-time non-exempt position reporting to the Chief Operating Officer.
The responsibilities of the Foundation Assistant include but are not limited to:
Senior Leadership and Board Support
· Maintain calendars for CEO and Vice President of Programs & Partnerships
· Assist COO in coordination, preparation and facilitation of Board and Committee meetings
· Manage pipeline of Board candidates
· Assist with onboarding new Board Members
· Draft Board and Committee meeting minutes, as needed
· Serve as front-line representative for the Foundation to the general public
· Manage office supplies and in-house pantry
· Coordinate use of shared Community Room
· Schedule and coordinate staff events
· Assist with hiring and onboarding new employees
· Maintain physical and electronic filing systems
· Work with various vendors, and specifically the IT provider
· Maintain records of vendors’ and consultants’ contracts and invoices
· Assist Finance Manager with processing invoices and reconciling the credit card statements
· Provide support to the Finance Manager, COO and Bookkeeper during the annual audit
· Process daily mail and weekly check deposits
· Assist Programs team with grantee meetings, support visits, and events
· Process matching gifts and honorariums
· Assist with various fundraising appeals and events, as needed
· Actively participate in the Foundation’s cross-departmental racial equity working groups
· Attend team and all-staff meetings
Abilities and Competencies
· Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills
· Strong organizational skills and superior attention to detail
· Ability to multi-task and adjust priorities as competing projects vie for attention
· Keen sense of discretion, especially when handling confidential and sensitive information
· Ability and desire to interact with a broad cross-section of constituents with a positive, customer service orientation
· Ability to work independently, but also be collaborative; to take both initiative and direction
· Passion for creating opportunities for Brooklyn’s residents
· Commitment to the Foundation’s racial equity focus and core values
· Minimum Associates Degree (2 years), Bachelor’s Degree a plus
· At least 1 year of experience in an office setting, preferably with experience in office management, administrative support, and/or non-profit management
· Excellent computer skills required (Microsoft Office Suite) and CRM experience (Salesforce) preferred
· Demonstrated ability to plan and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
About the Foundation
Brooklyn Community Foundation is the first and only public foundation solely dedicated to New York City’s largest borough. We are on a mission to spark lasting social change, mobilizing people, capital, and expertise…
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Foundation Assistant role will be a remote position through September 10, 2021, and interviews will be conducted via Zoom. The Foundation plans to resume in-person operations September 13, 2021, and the position will then be based in the Foundation’s office in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Management will provide at least one month of advance notice before the return to in-office operations.
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package, which includes generous paid time off, employer-paid health, vision, dental and life insurance, and a vibrant, dedicated and flexible work environment.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Foundation Assistant role will be a remote position through September 10, 2021, and interviews will be conducted via Zoom. The Foundation plans…
Email a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com (no reference letters or phone calls please!) listing Foundation Assistant in the subject line.
Brooklyn Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In alignment with its Racial Justice Lens, the Foundation is committed to maintaining a staff that diversifies philanthropy, including lifting up the leadership of people from communities historically underrepresented in the field and those directly affected by structural racism, centering them in decision-making. Additionally, the Foundation does not base any hiring decisions on an applicant’s history of involvement in the criminal justice system.
Email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org (no reference letters or phone calls please!) listing Foundation Assistant in the…