Covenant House builds a bridge to hope for young people facing homelessness and survivors of trafficking through unconditional love, absolute respect, and relentless support. Our doors are open 24/7 in 31 cities across six countries and our high-quality programs are designed to empower young people to rise and overcome adversity, today and in the future.
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, Major Gifts, the Major Gifts Officer develops and manages a portfolio of key donors through a moves management process, leading them on a donor journey to maximize their lifetime value.
- Plan & Execute: Thoughtfully create a plan of cultivation, solicitation and stewardship and execute that plan on a timely basis to retain and upgrade supporters
- Cultivate & Solicit: Build relationships with donors and solicit 5-figures+ contributions to Covenant House and, when appropriate, commitments to name Covenant House as a beneficiary in their estate planning
- Steward: Communicate, educate, inspire and celebrate donors to give consistently and frequently
- Achieve Results: Be accountable and responsible for results in fundraising for the donors on the assigned portfolio
- Track: Ensure that information regarding donors and prospective donors learned in the course of cultivation is added to Covenant House’s database
- Learn: Attend fundraising seminars and or trainings that are relevant to the position
- Collaborate: Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Leadership or requested by fellow members of the Covenant House Community
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Five to ten years of major giving, sales or other similar experience that affords the skillset, ability and comfort to build authentic relationships and ask for meaningful donations.
- Outstanding communication skills, articulate and persuasive, with well-honed relationship building skills and the ability to excite anyone about our mission and provide them with a unique experience as a supporter
- People-oriented with a natural and innate desire to connect and build relationships
- A team-orientation and strong work ethic essential for this demanding environment that continually strives for excellence
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the presence and personal style to represent the organization to multiple constituents
- Leadership, drive and sophistication to help shape the future of the fundraising department and the organization as a whole
- Available to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, and overnight as needed
- Tech savvy with knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint and the Google Office Suite
- A demonstrated passion for our mission that invigorates and excites everyone with whom you share it and a demonstrated commitment to human service and social change
- Must be dedicated to the mission of Covenant House
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the United States
- Valid US Driver’s License
- This role requires travel up to 25% of the time
Our critical mission demands that we have all voices at the table. A team of diverse people, perspectives, and experiences is smarter, stronger, and more effective for our young people. At Covenant House, every team member is valued, respected, heard, and supported, and we welcome honest and courageous self-reflection on any aspects of our work that are based on biased or outdated viewpoints. We deliberately create opportunities for our staff to grow and thrive.
Covenant House International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. If you are fun, dynamic and hardworking come join our awesome international team in an organization with a heart! Our offices are located in Manhattan, however, this position will be remote for the foreseeable future.