JOB SUMMARY/ SCOPE OF WORK
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Youth Programs Coordinator will be responsible for the operational success of Water Walkers including management of volunteers, program development and delivery, implementation of our education and social emotional learning curriculum, partnership development, and monitoring and evaluation. In this role, the Youth Programs Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation of traditional and adventure education programs that provide a safe space for youth to learn, grow, and lead.
The Youth Programs Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating and strengthening the following programs:
- Twice-weekly, after-school tutoring and educational enrichment programs for youth ages 6-18;
- Summer watersports programs at Percy Priest Lake, as well as expanded adventure-based youth development programming during out-of-school time; and
- Job training and early employment programs for young adults ages 14+, providing opportunities for them to become paid tutors at Water Walkers.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Ability to work from home while staying connected to a distributed team via phone and GSuite. While our organization has no physical office, the Youth Programs Coordinator will be on-site as the lead facilitator of all Water Walkers out-of-school time programs.
- Ability to translate Water Walkers’ mission, vision and philosophy into high-quality out-of-school time programming.
- Ability to actively engage and develop positive relationships with team members, volunteers, youth participants, and external partners.
- Relentless learner: Motivation to learn new things & take on new challenges.
- Project executor: Ability to meet deadlines, juggle competing priorities, and adapt to changing requirements.
- Previous work in other small organizations and/or nonprofit settings.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Development & Delivery (75%)
- Facilitate high-quality, engaging out-of-school time programs and ensure Water Walkers’ program is physically and emotionally safe for all participants
- Incorporate an understanding of multiple learning modalities and use assessments to develop a personalized curriculum of enrichment activities when students don’t have homework or complete it early
- Develop and manage a recruitment and retention plan for youth participants
- Coordinate all program logistics, including meals/snacks, recreational and safety equipment, and/or transportation
- Procure, prepare, clean, and ensure adequate storage of all learning materials
- Identify best practices and strategies around successful program implementation
- Develop and ensure compliance with organization guidelines, policies, and procedures, including regarding program delivery, safety/emergencies, and confidentiality
- Advise the ED on the expansion of adventure-based youth development programs, and implement the strengthening and/or expansion of those programs
- Advise the ED on the strengthening of Water Walkers’ job training/early employment program, and implement the strengthening and/or expansion of that program
- Build relationships with businesses, universities, individuals and other nonprofits to help Water Walkers achieve greater impact through shared services, joint programming, and/or fee-for-service partnerships
- Engage with parents, teachers, and schools as needed to ensure Water Walkers’ participants have the services and supports they need
- Assist in the preparation of an annual budget and maintain financial accountability for the execution of programs within the confines of that budget
- Maintain personal certifications and training requirements as determined by the ED
Volunteer Management (20%)
- Develop and manage a volunteer recruitment and training plan
- Supervise the onboarding/training and scheduling of all volunteers
- Work closely with the Executive Director to cultivate long-term volunteer investment in Water Walkers’ mission and programs
- Oversee volunteer communications and recognition
Monitoring & Impact Evaluation (5%)
- Advise the ED on software solutions to track youth participation, volunteer engagement, and other key program metrics, and implement a tracking and assessment plan to set targets and report outcomes
- Advise on existing tools and/or develop surveys to demonstrate the impact Water Walkers is having for the youth and community we serve and to learn from the data we collect, improve our program delivery, and be more effective in our mission
- Implement easyCBM or other similar system to better understand where students need additional instructional supports, support curriculum design, and measure effectiveness
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an early-career professional who loves working with kids to support and shape the direction of our programs. Specific requirements include:
- Deep commitment to and passion for the mission, vision, and values of Water Walkers.
- Minimum of a BA or equivalent.
- 1-2 years demonstrated experience or equivalent in related field.
- Proficient swimmer. Within 90 days of hire: Must complete Lifeguard Training course, including CPR/First Aid/AED certification (sponsored by Water Walkers).
- Valid Driver’s License.
- You have your own vehicle/transportation.
- Passion for and interest in watersports and other adventure sports.
- At minimum, the ability to work evenings (until approx. 6:30 pm) twice-weekly during the school year and at least two weekend dayper month.
- All candidates must successfully pass a federal background check before hire.